TechSpot

Android botnet turns infected handsets into SMS spam generators

By Shawn Knight
Dec 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new Trojan called SpamSolider that infects Android devices is to blame for an increasing number of spam text messages in the US. The malicious software is bundled alongside free versions of popular mobile games like Angry Birds Space and...

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Gawd, I've gotten a few of these lately. "Katie said you need to look at these [link]"

Spam bots programmers should be hanged high.

3. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,721   +63

I got one the other day. Hopefully avast will keep this none sense off my phone.

4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,006   +103

Researchers believe the person(s) behind the Tronajn...?

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,685   +333

^ heh, I pointed that out to Shawn in a PM about an hour after this article went live. Guess he didn't read it.

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

I remember a recent report telling 1/3rd of apps in android market being 'suspects/malware', and another that Google's malware protection is crappy at best. Hence, I guess, it is better stay with reputable/known sources for apps and avoid 'freeware' as far as possible. TBH I never believe 'freeware' is really free, there is always some catch here or there (with or without justification).

7. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

If you do not pay for a service than it is you that is being sold...

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,721   +63

I use free avast(phone and computer), free malware bytes and free ccleaner. They have never given me any trouble. I have free gps on my phone, free google sky map and a matter of fact I have never paid for a app on my phone and have never had my phone give me problems. I had some random person's phone text me a spam once, but that's it. I get all my free apps, though not many, from the play store on my android phone. As the article mentions those apps were downloaded from a spammed web link.... I bet its pretty seldom anyone gets a malicious treat bundled in with their free app when they go through the proper channels, like androids play store.

Happy Fireball Friday! Gonna party like its 1999 duh nuh nuh nuh nuh. (dec 31 y2k oh my!)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.