Android passes iPhone in the US

Emil

Staff

61.5 million people in the US owned smartphones during the three months ending in November 2010, up 10 percent from the preceding three-month period. For the first time, more Americans are using phones running Google's Android operating system than Apple's iPhone, but RIM's BlackBerry is still in first place, according to comScore.

RIM fell from 37.6 percent to 33.5 percent market share of smartphones, Google captured second place among smartphone platforms by moving from 19.6 percent to 26.0 percent of US smartphone subscribers, and Apple slipped to third despite its growth from 24.2 percent to 25.0 percent of the market. Microsoft, in fourth place, fell into single digits from 10.8 percent to 9.0 percent while Palm was still last and further slipped from 4.6 percent to 3.9 percent.

It seems that our prediction last month that Android would pass iOS before iOS caught up to BlackBerry has come to pass. All that remains to be seen is how quickly Android will grab first place, and whether BlackBerry will be able to keep the iPhone from taking back second place. We'll have to wait a little longer to see data for December to get a picture of how 2010 finished.

Permalink to story.

OUTLAWXXX said:
YES!!! Sad to see blackberry go down so pathetically but Android is DOPE!
You're sad?! I live in kitchener. When RIM does down a lot of us are ****ed.

Dumb title. Android is not a phone, it is an OS used by a variety of phone makers.

Please, no more apples to oranges in your news headings. Just makes you like less and less legitimate for tech news.

Android would pass iOS before iOS caught up to BlackBerry, on Mobile phone, maybe it's, but just from system using, IOS not a little!

So does this mean we'll see more apps for Android phones? All you see on commercials are companies advertising their special apps for iPhone and news stations with their apps for iPhone. Sorry, but Apple is not the only giant out there, people. Hate to bust your bubble...

You see that Steve? Open platforms win every time. You'd think you would have learned back in the day when the IBM clones beat the the Apple/Mac pc. Don't get me wrong, they always were great computers but nobody wanted to spend five times the money to run 1/5 the software.

Apple is ALSO an OS
if Apple doesn't allow it under other brands IS BECAUSE JOBS WANTS IT THAT WAY
They are not oranges and crabapples - they are TWINS

Guest said:
Dumb title. Android is not a phone, it is an OS used by a variety of phone makers.

Please, no more apples to oranges in your news headings. Just makes you like less and less legitimate for tech news.

I will agree the title doesn't make sense, but if you read the article, you'll see they're talking about operating systems. The title should have been more "android passes iOS" than "android passes iPhone". But whatever, if you had read and paid attention to the article, you'd already know this.

It was always inevitable that Google Android would overtake other OS's because it is on more phones now. But if you think about it, this makes Apple's feat a much greater feat - one phone against hundreds and still they have 25% of market share. Like it or loathe it, that makes it an incredible success.

A lot of stupid people also seem to think that PC is an operating system. Sites mentioning "PC or Mac" should correctly list "Linux, Mac OS, or Windows".

Christ. What kind of a world do we live in, when a table needs a row that says Total = 100%?

Saintnsinner said:
You see that Steve? Open platforms win every time. You'd think you would have learned back in the day when the IBM clones beat the the Apple/Mac pc. Don't get me wrong, they always were great computers but nobody wanted to spend five times the money to run 1/5 the software.

this sums it right up

this title however makes sense because the iphone only runs on apples OS. its also the only phone sold in the US that runs on their OS. therefore, android is now beating apples iphone

princeton said:
I was thinking about that. It's totally useless. And by totally I mean 100% in case you didn't know :p

Oh, thank you for pointing that out. I would have never guessed, lol. because apparently we are too dumb to understand things like this :p

RIM has a serious ACE up it's sleeve. They had bought out Ottawa based QNX last year. QNX is uber famous for it's very compact and efficient embedded OS's! In fact, QNX demonstrated a fully operating UI based OS that ran off a 1.44 MB floppy disc back in 96!

RIM will be using QNX OS for all their new devices starting with the dual-core Playbook.

What does this mean? It means that apps will be written in native code and not slow and clunk JAVA! For end users it means the games they play and apps they use will be far more responsive and robust!

This is all so cute. I say that because I support the OS used by the top 25 U.S. banks, the platform where it's likely all of your checking accounts reside. (HINT: it's not Linux/Unix/variant or Windows. And obviously not a mobile OS). I imagine that's why I chose an Android phone; it's an OS which can keep up with me.

Guest said:
This is all so cute. I say that because I support the OS used by the top 25 U.S. banks, the platform where it's likely all of your checking accounts reside. (HINT: it's not Linux/Unix/variant or Windows. And obviously not a mobile OS). I imagine that's why I chose an Android phone; it's an OS which can keep up with me.

This doesn't make sense. Are you saying those thongs define android? Android is a mobile OS and it is Linux based. So what the heck do you mean? I would like you to elaborate if possible as your statement controdicts itself.

Gotta love open source. Android is doing to Apple what PC's did to Apple 20 years ago. Actually, Apple does it to themselves. They come up with great ideas, then bend everyone over for it for as longs as they can....plus restrict the crap out of there customers.

I'm guessing when the hippies die off, Apple will too???

Unless you are writing in assembly, Java isn't much different than the other languages, in terms of speed. It was slow 10 years ago, but not really noticable now.

1% between ios and android what is the margin of error?

We consumers WANT a war between ios, android, blackberry, and window 7. The more player the better the price and options for us.

Back