Android royalties lead to a Microsoft and Samsung court battle

By Scorpus
Aug 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft currently holds numerous licensing deals with Android manufacturers, which allow the use of their intellectual property in exchange for a small fee for each device sold. Samsung has held such an agreement with Microsoft since 2011, but recently stopped...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Its sickening that we don't build high-tech devices in the countries where 99% of the technology is actually invented. Although it would probably be done by robots so it still wouldn't create any jobs.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Entire Apple must be rubbing its sweaty palms, while Mr Cook doing mad scientist laugh.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,370   +2,164

A consequence of free markets and government policies. However, don't despair over the absence of jobs. Not only are there jobs, on-going increases to the U.S. labor supply will make our borders much more attractive to businesses moving forward.
  5. chip igmo

chip igmo TS Member Posts: 51

Money makes the world go round so the players are fighting over it.
    I call the outcome of the court case in favor of microsoft.

samsung should have gone to court for ruling on the invalidation of its contract with microsoft during the time when microsoft's nokia acqusition is still needing clearance from different regulating bodies of some 'super nations'.
  6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,601   +369

Why would Samsung go to court if there was a clause in the contract that does what they say it does? Why would they spend the money or effort? They would just cite the condition and cease payment and it is in MS's court to chase in court. MSFT goes to court to dispute that the contract is being adhered to. Seems fair enough to me.
  7. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Guru Posts: 451   +37

Just because it is built by robots doesn't mean it wouldn't bring jobs back. They'll still need people to build the robots, program the robots for each different product being created, maintain the robots, ship and organize the products, etc etc.
  8. chip igmo

chip igmo TS Member Posts: 51

Upload it to your youtube account and post the link here? (I also don't know video post/media limit)
  9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So let me ask this, why hasn't Google being as big as they are create tech that makes it so those specific patents don't apply to android? Its like they don't want to go away from Microsoft's patent trolling so instead of making ways to make those patents invalid to android they would rather pony up and pay Microsoft billions...