Android set to overtake iOS on tablets this year

By Matthew
Mar 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The dominance of iOS will be challenged later this year as Android hurdles toward becoming the most-used mobile operating system on tablets, according to IDC. The researcher has updated its forecast to reflect the surging interest in slates such as...

Read more
  2. Microsoft Surface's value proposition?

What value is there?

Surface has very similar specs to a Nexus 7, yet costs $300 more. It has almost no ecosystem, too
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Good. iOS needs to hurtle off a cliff. It can come back when it has grown up.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,156   +741

The MS store doesnt even have Real racing 3 or Instagram. I wonder if you can port apps like you can from android to blackberry. that would help out a lot.
  5. JC713

If it werent for the iPad, tablets would be slow, we need a marketing giant like apple to jump start a sector.
    dennis777 likes this.
  6. JC713

I meant slow sales above, sorry for the 3 comments, I cant edit.
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

The jumpstart happened. I'll give Apple that. But they now need to make way for people who actually know what they're doing.

Also, you can edit in forum mode.
  8. JC713

Oh ok. I learnt something haha
  9. Jormabs

Jormabs Newcomer, in training

Talk about 2017 is like talk science fiction.
  10. JC713

See through tablets you can fold. Lightyears away: a tablet you can just poof into mid air and take it when you need it out of thin air haha.
  11. ArthurZ

ArthurZ Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

No forecast is ever accurate and yet in essence pure propaganda.
    But this one in particular seems to be very conservative.
    I mean too iOS bias.
    Thing is iOS offers 0 interoperability with peripherals as SD card, USB, miniHDMI etc. Not all software can be installed e.g. Adobe Flash, FireFox and so on.
    As iOS being completely closed and non-customizable the life (think user experience) in contrast is about choice, freedom.
    To me Apple to Android is like Soviet Union to the modern Western World.

Let's watch the Apple stock after this news. I think a 5% drop is imminent.
  12. Android vs iOS? let the battle begin..

(psst, careful, MS might join in the middle of battle..)
  13. Rippleman

Rippleman TechSpot Member Posts: 79   +6

I am willing to bet Hyundai would be the top selling market leader too if they dropped their car prices to around $1000 each. Android should be growing, around here, you can buy Android based Tablets for around $50 each brand new.

14. Scavengers

Scavengers TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

"Around Here" where?
  15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,291   +226

Apple has never offered interoperability with its mobile devices going back as far as the iPod. That isn't what is hurting them so much, it is just that Android is actually a good OS. Marketshare is declining because of all the low-end Android tablets (I don't have any data to back me up, just my guess). You can get sub $100 tablets that run Android in some form. That removes entry barriers for a lot of people even though it isn't going to be a great experience using them (at least not for what people that visit this site would use them for). Sales figures for the high end tablets probably still have Apple very competitive.

Also, Apple share has been up all week, Google has been down. Don't think this announcement had any effect.
  16. Rippleman

Central Alberta, Canada. Excess Cargo, Liquidation World, etc always "bowout deals" for them for $49... They are NOT Samsung, Acer or name brand.
  17. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

I can also buy a pineapple in alaska, I'll pay more but it doesn't make it taste better.
  18. Rippleman

the point was simply that based on a price of 1/5 to 1/10 the competition, its obvious the market share of Android will surpass the competition.

Example again: there is more Hyundai's on the road then Lexus's. Does that mean Hyundai is better? Its just market share based on price point.
  19. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,291   +226

I agree with your assessment, so you don't need to argue with me here.

I just found this: http://www.cowboom.com/product/818645/?utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=552179&utm_campaign=CJ
    $40 for a 7" Android (2.3) tablet. Its not JB or ICS, but it still counts in the Android devices list.
  20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,016   +716

Oh dear Lord, how will any of us survive without "Instagram"?:eek:
  21. JC713

I dont even use it, the point is that the most popular apps havent adopted it
  22. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

Wrong example, I deal with hyundai and lexus' on a daily basis. Other than brakes, engines and rich soccer moms the only difference is price, again that doesnt make one always better than the other by everyone's standards.
  23. Rippleman

this is precisely what I meant.
  24. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,492   +73

Android tablet even the lower prices one now have dual core some even have quad core. Microsoft gone for the expensive side and really mess-up. Take clue how Amazon is selling their tablets, more geared for Amazon Prime Members. Microsoft could have had Surface for $199 and $249 but again they don't think out the box. Android and iOS going battle it out. All those who have Apple devices and there are so many of you. I had gone to a party and everyone had Apple phones, where I was the only one with Android phone. They ask me what's that? Not Apple no, it's Android! Android what's that? My Motorola Razz Max is thin and their iPhones is thick but in all they all use the iOS.

Tablets Android tablets will shine more..
  25. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,016   +716

Speaking of Hyundai, I really wish they would tone down that stinking commercial with the gangsta white rats making the jump to light speed in the "Soul"....!:mad:

Oh wait, that's Kia.......nevermind....:oops:
    UNKNOWN9122 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.