Android's face unlock feature could be fooled by photo

By Jos
Oct 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Face Unlock, one of the flagship features of the newly released Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" mobile operating system, enables users to unlock their phones via facial recognition rather than…

Read the whole story
  2. Thank you for getting rid of those useless "recommendations" in the bottom corner of my screen.
  3. SammyJames

SammyJames TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 168

Oh, goodness. Thanks to Google's facial recognition technology, I'll always be able to open my session up again on my Android phone. If I had to use my REAL face, there would be a problem -- because I'm a shape-shifter from Pluto. My face changes every five minutes or so, depending on which CNN anchor I happen to be watching on television...

In other words: I'm going to have to use Wolf Blitzer's photo to log in... okay. This post makes no sense. I need more coffee.
  4. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

I agree with this statement and I'm equally thankful.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

What's wrong with re-reading an old gem from March 2010?
  6. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Ditto

Back to the article, was never going to use that function anyway so big for me either way. I prefer the pattern code, its quick and easy.
  7. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,273   +390 Staff Member

I guess it would go something like this...

"Hello stranger that I just met, please hold still while I take a photo of your face (don't smile). I will be back soon once I have printed off this unrelated image to then steal your phone."
  8. Of course it can be unlocked with a photo, as if a phone camera is going to know the difference. This problem is well known with facial recognition technology, as well as it being flakey as **** in general. And no, you wouldn't have to do anything as obvious as take a photo of the person you're stealing a phone from when you can just track people down on Facebook/Twitter/tumblr/Flickr/whatever social networking site is in vogue this week. That's not even the main issue anyway, it's about spouses, parents, children, friends, employers, etc. being able to snag your phone when your back is turned and get into it via a photo and snoop your messages, emails, contacts and such.
  9. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,273   +390 Staff Member

Sorry should have held up my sarcasm sign :p

In any case at this stage I would say it is more of a bragging rights kind of feature, you are not exactly going to protect your closest secrets with it.
  10. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

my closest secret is my indentity! I wear a ski mask 24/7, even while making love, will it still detect my face? or will it detect everyone and anyone wearing a ski mask? dun dun dun!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.