TechSpot

Andy Rubin steps down as Android chief

By Shawn Knight
Mar 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Andy Rubin has decided to step down as the head of Google’s Android division. He will be handing the reins over to Sundar Pichai who will take over Android in addition to his work with Chrome and Apps, according to...

Read more

2. Critica1Hit

Critica1Hit TS Rookie Posts: 27

When I first glanced at the news I kind of freaked out, thinking Andy was going to a different company. But if he stepped down to start other adventures within Google, then at least that's a relief. Here's hoping the new guy can keep the momentum going...

3. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

My thinking Chrome OS and Android are going to be bridged this is why the move

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Interesting... just before KLP release too. Disagreements, perhaps?

5. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 387   +53

Not being fully informed about the internals of google personnel, I say with reservations in case of inaccuracy, thanks to Andy Rubin for a great mobile operating system. Android has filled a great need and has made iOS the inferior phone OS. I will always love the openness of Android and how people are allowed to make their own custom android roms. This versatility that harnesses the talent of 3rd party devs is a simple but phenomenal concept and surely the head of the android division must have played a role in that. I'm looking forward to new products and I'm hopping the new guy doesn't screw android up.

6. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

7. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

It's curious what may have happened here, but it could be really simple: Pichai is someone Google put a lot behind, and he's done quite well, and sometimes you just have to shuffle things around. I'd be surprised if Rubin weren't being put into something where his expertise can help Google even more.

8. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

The move is the first step towards Google's desktop domination.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.