Andy Rubin's new role at Google? Building robots

By Shawn Knight
Dec 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Wow, who knew that Amazon’s recent package delivery drone reveal would have such far-reaching implications? After learning that UPS was also working on an unmanned delivery system, we’re now hearing more about Google’s next “moonshot” project and it’s a doozy....

Read more
  2. Chuck Cortes

Chuck Cortes Newcomer, in training Posts: 53   +13

Great, now everyone's gonna think Google will use robots to rule us all. LOL.
  3. insect

insect TechSpot Booster Posts: 181   +45

Only a matter of time my humble opinion. Computers can already process data faster than a human brain. As soon as they start coming up with new ideas faster than humans can we will work for them. I think artificial intelligence is not going to happen in my lifetime though.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +683

According to the geniuses they put on Through the Wormhole, until computers can feel emotion they won't be conscience of themselves. I think we're safe for a while.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +683

Ok, so humanoid robots in manufacturing lines, online retail and ... manufacturing lines for electronics. So, basically places we already have robots, but he's going to give them faces? Maybe he should start with a robot that understands which menu option you want when you call customer service. "Just say 'Billing' for billing, or 'check my minutes' to check your minutes." whatever you say it's followed by "I'm sorry, I didn't get that, could you please repeat it?"

Sounds like he's getting paid for playing around. We should all be so lucky.
  6. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 822   +19

Glad he's not building botnets. I bet some fortune 500 companies do.
  7. DDRAMbo

DDRAMbo Newcomer, in training

Isn't it wonderful to see another engineering type make a significant income for a brief period as he helps design devices that benefit the affluent and take away jobs for many years to come? Not! This dweeb is just another tech junky that is willing to scrap the benefits of technology for all of us to build robots that will most likely benefit the few to the exclusion of the many. I personally hope that future generations of his kin wind up in poverty.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.