TechSpot

Animated GIF over 256 color

By palmboy5
Jan 26, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i know GIF only supports 256color and is a compressed format but you see GIF pics everywhere having perfect color (16 bit and up), i know how to do that with nonanimated GIFs (one frame), but all my animated Gifs turn out to be 256color every time...

is there a program i can download that will save animated GIFs in "normal" color?
  2. conradguerrero

conradguerrero TS Rookie Posts: 357

I use a 24-bit .bmp file to upload to web servers, the file should be converted to .gif.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

GIF format supports 256 discrete colors in one image file, but that 256 can be a set of any 16-bit colors. If you want to have pretty GIFs, the program you create them with must support different palettes in a gif file. I believe most of them do. So if you import a true-color image into a GIF animation wizard, it should adjust the palette by itself.

I have used GIF construction set that comes with Graphic Workshop as a lite version or a full-featured separate program.

http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/alchemy.html
  4. palmboy5

palmboy5 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 112

i have Adobe Photoshop 7 with Adobe Image Ready 7(the animator), umm... Macromedia Flash 5, and Microsoft Paint(lol)

yes im aware of palettes, thats how my View Sonic A90 is at 32bit at 1600x1200 (its really 256 color)
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Are you sure those perfect-color animated pictures haven't been MNG images?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.