Annoying Graphics Problem, Overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm new :)

Anyway, I've got a problem that is really bugging me.

My PC, fairly old admittedly, is playing up. I have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 Graphics Card, 768 MB Ram, P4 1.8Ghz. It's fairly low spec I know, but suits me fine :)

Basically, lately it's been going a little mad, throwing up loads of different coloured squares and then freezing after 2-3 seconds. It tends to only do it on graphically intense websites and games like Wolfenstein ET and Vice City.

I blew all the dust out, left the side cover off and it doesn't seem to get hot, only warm. I reinstalled drivers but still it does it. I can browse the net and use MSN ok but as soon as I play a game it crashes (Well, after 5 minutes).

Any ideas?

I had that card years ago. It sounds like what happened to mine, it is artifacting, meaning it is probably dying. At first it was only in graphically intense games and then these issues began happening when simply web browsing or doing Office work. Try this: Unseat and reseat your card and see if that helps.

Also, check your fan when the card is under a load such as gaming and see how or if it is spinning.

Thanks for the reply, I had feared it was on the way out :(

The fan constantly spins, even when it's crashed. I've tried taking it out, blowing all the dust away etc... (In fact it looks like new) but no joy.

I guess it's time for a new one huh?

Thanks again.

By the way, I had a big floorstanding fan blowing into the case with the side removed and it still does it, so maybe it's not overheating?

Ah well...

I doubt its overheating, and it being warm is fine everything on a computer generates heat and gets warm. Your card is most likely dieing as stated above and probably due for a new one which shouldn't be to expensive if your not looking for much maybe 50-60 or cheaper. If you need help picking out one let us know.

Can you keep your eye on temps and tell us what your getting. Also don't overclock the card. With weird lines and stuff on screen is gotta be a memory problem on the card, however if it was working ok before and you didn't touch a thing, then I suggest you take out the card and reseat it. Lets take it from there,, GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back