TechSpot

Annoying permissions (?) popups in Internet Browser

By jancan
Mar 21, 2009
  1. Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

Suddenly, about two days ago, I've started getting the following popup on my browser on almost every single window as I navigate through a site, shopping for an item:

This site contains both secure and non-secure items.
    Do you want to display the non-secure items?

A couple of other annoying windows pop up asking from time to time, if I will allow Adobe or Roboform to open a window I'm requesting. Even though I check to not ask me in the future for this site, they keep popping up and sometimes two or three times in immediate succession before I can open the window. I didn't change any settings.

Do I need to change something in my brower settings to stop this annoyance. I can't do anything until I respond to the popup. It never did it before. Have I downloaded an update that changed my brower 'permissions', if that's what you call it. Where exactly can I go to adjust the settings to stop it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

It's a setting in the browser. Are you using IE7?

Here is a good, basic reference site: http://computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_network_ie7.htm

I'm going to send you on a safari to find the setting!
    Access Internet options> Advanced tab> Security section> UNCHECK 'warn if changing between secure and non-secure mode'> Apply> OK.

I suspect that the pages have a redirect on them and as a safety feature, you have to Allow the redirect. I have the same thing on Firefox and it is a nuisance. I don't know if IE7 can be reset for this.

If this is NEW behavior, resetting IE may work:
    To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps
    RIES restores the default settings of the following features:

3. jancan

jancan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the safari. . . I'll see how it goes after that. I've got some reading to do on those links. jc

4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

When you get back, let me know more specifically what the pop-ups are other than the one about secure/non-secure.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.