Annoying problem with my internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this problem has drove me mad! Now i'm hoping to get a little help from anyone here..I'll try making the problem as clear as possibly can, here goes..

I have BT modem and a D-link ADSL router..I've been told that I only need the one to connect to the internet but I still have both. Now both of them are using the same address which is 192.168.1.1. I wanted to set up a passkey to secure my wireless but I couldn't since both the modem and router use the same address (192.168.1.1) so I then switched off my modem for a brief moment and got onto my router page by using 192.168.1.1, I then changed the address so in future it would be easier for me to access as both my modem and router seem to clash. Now this has been working fine for a couple of months until recently..

I was just on my laptop as I normally would be, when the connection started to go really slow, I thought it was a problem with my router or my modem so I restarted both. As I did this.. the router address changed back to 192.168.1.1 which is the same as my modem one, so they clashed again! Since the computer I usually do this on has a tonne of viruses and is really slow I decided to change my router address on my laptop and set the passkey again. I got the wireless running again but it says its connected but I cant get any websites to work. I then used another laptop to check if the problem was the same but the wireless was working perfectly on it! I looked at my default gateway..and on mine it would be..192.168.1.68 and on the other laptop (internet works on this one) it would be 192.168.1.1. So they don't match! :confused: How do I get them both to be the same? because i'm sure they need to be since it's usually the same connection..

Now I hope that makes sense to anyone who reads this, I would really appreciate the help!

What is a BT modem?
I would download the DLink driver, quick install, and User guide. There may be one other file.

Then delete the D-Link, shut down, reboot, delete the Dlink setup using Add and Remove, and also network settings.
Then reboot, and install the D-Link using the Dl-Link user guide and quick install... both very good.

Now tell me what the BT does? Is that the Cable modem? If so, what brand.
If a cable modem, you should not have to do anything with it.

the geteway should never be the same, the routers address is 192.168.1.1 so that laptop has replaced the router. but each laptop would have a different address.

What is a BT modem?
I would download the DLink driver, quick install, and User guide. There may be one other file.

Then delete the D-Link, shut down, reboot, delete the Dlink setup using Add and Remove, and also network settings.
Then reboot, and install the D-Link using the Dl-Link user guide and quick install... both very good.

Now tell me what the BT does? Is that the Cable modem? If so, what brand.
If a cable modem, you should not have to do anything with it.

its called BT Voyager 220V, iv'e been told already to get rid of it but my connection has been set up really weirdly and I just don't know what to do with all the wires so i've just left it how is it

the geteway should never be the same, the routers address is 192.168.1.1 so that laptop has replaced the router. but each laptop would have a different address.

I was told all laptops under one connection has the same gateways so it got me confused. one laptop is 192.168.1.1 and the other is 192.168.1.68 so that doesn't matter?

well u stated u're router was 192.168.1.1 and now u are stating one laptop is 192.168.1.1 and this will never work. or did I miss understand u?

well u stated u're router was 192.168.1.1 and now u are stating one laptop is 192.168.1.1 and this will never work. or did I miss understand u?

Yeah my router is 192.168.1.1. It's a really weird and complicated situation I don't think anyone is really going to understand me! I just don't get why my default gateway keeps changing, i want it to match with the other laptop!

it's like this
Code:
BTmodem (192.168.1.1) -----(192.168.1.2)[wan] Router [lan] (192.168.2.1) --- your systems)
Let the BT take address 192.168.1.1. It will assign your routers WAN address as 192.168.1.2

Disconnect the Router from the BT and use your browser to change the Routers address to 192.168.2.1.
Save the settings and document this note. Disconnect the system from the Router

Now reconnect the Router to the BT modem and wait 30 seconds.
Finally reconnect your system to the router.

Everything will be fine for all your systems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back