AnonAustria publishes personal data of Austrian Police

Jos

Staff

The Austrian branch of the Anonymous hacking group, AnonAustria, has published the personal information including addresses and dates of birth of nearly 25,000 police officials, ranging from low rank beat officers to senior commanders in the police force.

AnonAustria posted the private information as a searchable database on its Twitter account yesterday, justifying their actions in protest of a proposed change to the law that would see telecommunications companies forced to save details of all telephone and internet traffic for a minimum of 6 months, and provide them to police when requested.

Police union official Walter Scharinger expressed concern yesterday regarding the news, fearing revenge attacks against police officers from previously convicted criminals.

The Austrian newspaper, the Wiener Zeitung, said the move came only a few days after the Vienna public prosecutor announced an investigation into the attacks against websites used by Austrian political parties.

Anonymous and its Austrian branch gained headlines in Austria this summer publishing private information obtained in a wave of attacks against the websites of various local political parties, including the SPÖ (Social Democratic Party), FPÖ (Freedom Party), the Green Party and the Austrian state broadcaster ORF's charging service (GIS).

The country's biggest association of police members, the Austrian branch of the International Police Association (IPA) is now under investigation by the State Office of Criminal Investigation due to the leak. The IPA firmly denies any data leaked from them, claiming that they use an external service provider to manage member's accounts.

The State Office investigative team suspects the information was leaked, as opposed to hacked from police servers. Comments published on Twitter by members of Anonymous' Austrian branch saying the information was "made available to them" appear to add more weight to those suspicions.

Permalink to story.

I hope they hack into fairfax va next. the cops up here are such scammers, liars and deceivers. i second these guys after what really goes on in the court systems, jails, and streets.

Guest said:
I hope they hack into fairfax va next. the cops up here are such scammers, liars and deceivers. i second these guys after what really goes on in the court systems, jails, and streets.

Yeah, it would be cool if criminals went and shot up the house of some cop and killed his family. Cause that would show them.

Wow, you're an *****.

I'd like to punch these Anon turds right in the baby maker.

Wow. What's this world coming to? I find it sad that people waste their talents on illegal activities. Hope they get caught

"I hope they hack into fairfax va next. the cops up here are such scammers, liars and deceivers. i second these guys after what really goes on in the court systems, jails, and streets."

Sounds exactly like someone who was busted doing something illegally and now wants to blame "the man" for their own stupidity.

Yeah I dislike law enforcement as much as the next guy who dislikes law enforcement, but I just don't see the 'point' behind doing something like this....seems like a good way to get a long prison sentence, while not accomplishing much.

Guest said:
Yeah I dislike law enforcement as much as the next criminal who dislikes law enforcement, but I just don't see the 'point' behind doing something like this....seems like a good way to get a long prison sentence, while not accomplishing much.

Sorry.... I know it's not what you said... but it's what I read. :)

The people should not fear their government, but rather the government should fear their people. The police are a unique group, being neither in the position to dictate government yet a part of it as they are the enforcers. Police have a high standing in society because they are a group of people who are willing to risk their lives and livelihood standing up for what they believe in. If they don't believe the government should be spying on it's people then they should leave the force and refuse to risk their lives defending an ever increasing governmental presence.

So, in protest to a potential change to a law by attacking the group who just have the job of helping to enforce it, and completely ignore the group that actually MAKE the laws. Wow, that'll really show those government types! Of course, nobody can accuse these hacktivist groups of being overly smart in the "collateral damage" department... You know, like hacking Sony in protest, only to make the customer base the ones who suffer... They just like to have some justification (however slim or ridiculous) for the crimes they get a kick out of committing.

Or it sounds like someone who had a cop pull him over forge a ticket using my signature....hmmm little bit different now isnt it.

Post the names and address of the F$kin Lawyers not the people out to serve the law...

1977TA said:
Wow, you're an *****.

I'd like to punch these Anon turds right in the baby maker.
That's the most legal and humane solution I've read so far. Good job.

I would actually respect Anon if they would put more thought into these attacks and attack the right people. First, law enforcement has NOTHING to do with the laws being made. Hence why they are called law ENFORCEMENT. Secondly, I see no reason to post names, ages, and home addresses. These people don't need you endangering both them and their families. Post only what you need to post (dirty emails and the names and positions of the parties involved). THIS is how it SHOULD be done. It's more tactful and respectful. It show that you are mature and actually think things through.

Anon has the right ideas, and I agree with them. However, it's their "carry-through" that I do not agree with. They are taking what could be great and turning it into a heaping pile of dung.

If one hacker will the victim of any criminal than do not go to ask help from police.
That hackers can be hapy if criminls are not kill their family or do not kill their children.
Do not forget the, information technology will not protect anyone from fisical attack and from thief.
Hackers will be affected all of the crime which will conect with this action (killing, robbery, and so on..)

Back