TechSpot

Anonymous hacks FTC website OnGuardOnline.gov

By Leeky
Jan 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Anonymous continues to target government and film industry websites as part of the so-called operation MegaUpload, in protest of the file sharing service's recent shutdown. As it stands right now…

Read the whole story

2. anonymous, no one cares... down for a day does nothing.

3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

^This guest speaks truth...

4. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +9

hacking 60, 000 servers? eaz.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

"If this passes we will hack many weakly defended sites of no real importance or use other than a symbolic value, but rest assured, we will leave all data that can potentially damage the reputation of any of the forces that we claim to fight safely where it is. We are legion, fear us, grr."

6. Power corrupts (or those that are corruptible are drawn to power) and Anonymous just seems to be another case of ego and power using the justification, those guys are egocentric powerful groups so we can use our egocentric power against them.

Look at SOPA/PIPA bills, what has gotten the attention of Congress? Not Anonymous, but real life citizens using their own names and standing up for something. Voting and contacting their representatives, peaceful democracy in action, not threats nor acts of terrorism.

7. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 881   +231

I like what Anonymous is doing,

^ Power corrupts? Do you live in America?
    This country was founded by greedy self elected land taking slave owners and not much has changed except the illusion of security is bigger in exchange for so called human rights.

SOPA is trying to regulate what should be considered free speech and enterprise.
    I will help Anonymous's cause in anyway I can.

8. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

Agreed. People won't listen to you when you attack them. They listen when you can reason with them. Anon doesn't know how to reason, just attack.

9. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

The problem with Anonymous is their "attack them first to get what we want" mentality. I think the people should exercise ALL of the peaceful methods of getting what they want from their government first. If all fails, use cyber attacks and hacking as a last resort. But it's just stupid to cut the chase and go straight to the "violence" (what ever the virtual equivalent to violence is?) demanding this and that. Because look, on January 18th, the peaceful methods actually were extremely effective and I'd argue that they worked very well.

It's hard for me to stand by Anonymous when they don't take the mature, responsible, and logical approaches to their problems first.

10. So lets reason with the govt and tell them we dont want the internet censored? O wait the law makers trying to pass SOPA, PIPA, or ACTA clearly are not.

11. And per usual ANON is doing what they feel is right...even when it makes them look stupid. The more attacks they do the more information is being gathered on them. Eventually they will screw up and we will see that they are just a bunch of teenage ****** living in mommys basement among their Power Ranger collectable action figures.....

12. I am glad that Anon does not like SOPA. However there are better ways to handle it, even if they insist on hacking and shutting down sites.
    -ikesmasher

13. I don't really think it's about the site being down for a day. These are supposed to set the standard. Most websites and organizations build their hardware and harden their servers to the government's standards. If these servers can be taken off line so easily... Down for a day may not do anything, but it sends a message when you can tear down a site that many deemed unhackable. Suddenly the impossible is possible and people get this urge to fight for what they thought was lost. Think of it as psychological warfare.

14. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

what good does taking down these websites do? how many people desperately need to use government websites on a daily basis? hardly anyone would even notice if they went down for a few hours.

15. Wow, I am Anonymous!

16. Funny how RT news has some 'Anonymous' guest on there taking about all the problems in the USA. But RT never shows all those Russian protestors in their streets. See, RT is run by the Russian government. And if the true Anonymous has nothing to do with RT, then they should hack them. Just my opinion. I'm a frog, so what do I know.

17. Anonymous may be on the right track, but they may be on the wrong train. What we need in the USA is a 3rd party. The 99% just needs to vote. And we will all live happily ever after. Bill Gates for president! I joke not.

18. Anonymous says: nationalize the banks, tax the rich to clean up their mess.... Sounds good to me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.