Anonymous leaks 3GB of Texas law enforcement data

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The hacktivist group Anonymous has released 3GB of sensitive data from various Texas law enforcement agencies in an effort titled Texas Takedown Thursday. The attacks are in retaliation for the arrests of several alleged members of Anonymous as well as affiliate hacker groups.

The data in question is a combination of work-related and private emails between police officers, some involving sexist and racist comments. The fourth major leak in the group’s “Chinga La Migra” campaign also contains other confidential data such as passwords to government systems, security audits and training materials. The group claims to have had access to the Texas police systems for over a month. The primary targets were small rural departments that likely have lowered security measures in place.

Anonymous had released teaser data from the hack job over the past few weeks but the group decided to dump the entire lot of information online yesterday.

In addition to releasing the above mentioned sensitive material, the group defaced the Texas Police Chiefs Association website, which as of writing is listed as offline for maintenance and updates.

"In retaliation for the arrests of dozens of alleged Anonymous suspects, we opened fire on dozens of Texas police departments and stole boatloads of classified police documents and police chief emails across the state," the group wrote in an announcement.

In mid July the FBI raided the homes of three alleged Anonymous hackers in New York. Later that month it was reported that Lulz Security member Jake “Topiary” Davis had been arrested in Britain and accused of being involved in several high profile cyber attacks.

Late last month another suspected Anonymous member was charged for his involvement with the group.

Permalink to story.

I hope they went after those departments that are in small towns along I-20 and I-10. I hate those cops that give you a ticket for 81 in an 80, because it's an almost 300 dollar ticket and the towns need money.

Can someone please whop Anonymous' a-s-s? What a bunch of irresponsible ****** who falsely claim to be acting on behalf of the "people". A bunch of losers who crave attention and contribute nothing to society but adding costs and troubles.

By the way, Anonymous, in the name of defending Wikileaks, you say there should be no secret to hide by anyone, then take off your masks and reveal yourselves. While you are doing that, throw in your home address and your security passcode. Otherwise you are just a bunch of hypocrats.

Guest said:

By the way, Anonymous, in the name of defending Wikileaks, you say there should be no secret to hide by anyone, then take off your masks and reveal yourselves. While you are doing that, throw in your home address and your security passcode. Otherwise you are just a bunch of hypocrats.

Idd hippo hippo cats they are ;)

The hacktivist group Anonymous is just a distraction from the real problems. They only hack what the government allows them to hack.

"they only allow them to hack what the govnmt allows them to"

LOL guest you are retarded.

Most small,rural based sites don't have the security that large ones do. I imagine it wasn't hard for them to get into them at all.

Anyway I don't know why you all complain so much, it's not really affecting you, they are exposing some questionable things apparently that the police force in Texas do/say.

I for one like the release of data that might normally be hidden from public, it's an insight to what really goes on/gets said behind the scenes.

TBH I don't think any of these groups are immature,kids,script-kiddies, or anything.. those are the type who just hack teamspeak servers or deface basic websites.. This kind of action we see from them might actually require some thought, organization, and brain power.

Anyways, if you don't like what they do that's fine, everyone has their own opinion.. but don't judge them for what they do and how they do it.. if they break laws it will come back at them eventually.

You guys should probably stop using the term hacktivist, the implication is that they're doing something positive these days.

They stopped being activists of any sort when the whole Cos/Anon showdown happened. They're more likely to expose user or customer data than do anything remotely resembling activism. I can throw a brick through a cop car window and say that I'm being an activist and protesting the disabled man killed in Fullerton, but the fact is I just threw a brick through a police car window.

And to ***** Guest above, yeah, I can judge them. Its 13 years olds like you who think this is kewl. Find me one person whose account information was leaked or whose identity was stolen who thinks Anon is a good thing. The point is that one day it WILL affect you. Maybe your aunt works as a janitor for some small Texas police department, and her SSN and other info just got stolen from the HR database. Maybe some file has information on identity of informants or undercover agents who will be very quickly decapitated by some Mexican drug runner.

Stop acting like what they're doing is a good thing. The only positive thing that they're doing is bringing internet security to the forefront. But saying that nothing they do affects us is stupid, because they don't even know what they're releasing. When you dump data out there into the open you're not being responsible, you're being an anarchist. You don't care what happens to people, you just want the adulation of your peers (which the pre-op trannies at LS seemed to be in dire need of)

Like "leftists" who use explosives to make a "point," the only points here are on the heads of these hypocrite hackers.

Guest said:
I hope they went after those departments that are in small towns along I-20 and I-10. I hate those cops that give you a ticket for 81 in an 80, because it's an almost 300 dollar ticket and the towns need money.
Speedometers are built within10% margin of error so that is an easy fine to argue.

Benefits of living where I live, I guess…

It may be easy to argue, but almost every person that is driving through there is driving form El Paso to Dallas or El Paso to San Antonio(or vis versa). In which that small town is most likely 200-400 miles from where you are going. So driving back to the town for a court date is pretty out of the way.

Six cops tased mentally-ill citizen Pierre Abernathy to death on his momma’s front lawn on August 4, 2011 BUT Police Chief McManus says “Trust Me” and vows a transparent, open investigation.

Yea! Right! When H_ll freezes over and it rains in Texas.

McManus conspires with corrupt City of San Antonio, TX officials to hide three decades of public/police corruption and a six year criminal cover-up financed with tax dollars.

http://forum.anon210.com/showthread.php?tid=19 – Operation Southern Thunder …….

hello ...

Not all truth is good to be said & the way those hackers are 'hacting' makes it like giving the authorities the stick to beat them.

laws are being enforced everywhere & quite soon those hackers will be tagged & treated as terrorists & everyone learning the 'dark secrets' of hacking, even for good use or just for fun will then be accused or 'heresy' ... we will face a new Salem, this time our witches have the name of Anon / LulzSec or even LolCats :p ...

It will make our cyberworld an apocalyptic one ... :S

cheers!

Back