hillian6

Computer

CPU:Amd 5000 64 x2
Idle temps low 30'sC Load 38-40C

MB:MSI k9n F v2

8Gigs of 6400 OCZ Memory

GPU: MSI 8800 GTX drivers 7.15.11.8206
Idle temp 40C Load 55C

HDD: Maxtor 1T Sata in slot 1 (60GB Partition for windows vista 64 home)

Samasung 22x DvD burner Sata slot 2

Antec 650 Watt PSU

Now thats out of the way on to the problem...

I thought the BSoD would happen only when I play DDO, but I noticed that it also happens when I play Crysis. Before I installed the Maxtor 1TB (which was new), I had a Maxtor 360GB HD IDE on this system that worked fine. then I took it out and installed the 1T. When I installed the 1T it seemed fine but then the BSoD started to come.
So I thought it was the hard drive because it was new and the other hard drive had no problem, I put the other IDE 360GB. The crappy thing is the same damn thing happened with the other hard drive!

After a couple weeks of reading other peoples 0x000000f4 errors I finally decided to come here and post.

Now I think its safe to say that I ruled out the Memory reseating them, moving them, pulling all but one out at a time, and also running Memtest.

I'm up for any wacky suggestions.

That really doesn't appear to be an error, but rather a memory dump from what ever error was caused... so it is difficult to use that. We need to know the brand and model of computer, age, and configuration

It is always difficult to diagnose when everything looks that good... but it could be one of the memory modules, video graphics,power supply or cpu fan... but could easily be a failed or corrupted driver.

The Maxtor drives are prone to early failure... but the MSI K9N F V2 is a good board.

Let's check the drivers first by looking for flags... red or yellow flags in the Device Manager

First, pull and reseat all cables and plugs to all devices to be sure they are fully connected.

Next, go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager. The flags, if they exist, will be on the left side of the screen.

Then defragment your hard drive.

Have you run any checks for infestations? If not, you may want to consider using the TechSpot 8-Step infestation removal found elsewhere on this forum.:

Hey Raybay, thanks for the quick response.

The CPU, Mobo, 1T HD, and DVD burner and the PSU were all purchased in Dec. I did also buy 2 MSI Nvidia 9500gt but the performance wasn't much different from my last system so I went and bought 2 8800gtx's (one of them is sitting out right now.) These came used off ebay (which I'm hoping that it isn't but might be the problem)

The vista install is fresh, 4 days old, but I'll go and scan for viruses and such anyways.

I went to DM and saw a SM Bus Controller is flagged yellow. Although I'm not quite sure where to get a driver for it.

Edit: I went to the nvidia site and I'm downloading the 570 board drivers. hopefully it fixes the SM bus controller.

There is no way to know if installing a new driver will make a difference, except to try one.

That is usually an O2Micro Integrated MS/xD/SM Controller driver. You might do a gargle or a Live search to find one, but watch out for people trying to sell it to you for $25. It will be someplace for free.

You might also try a gargle search for "SM Controller Driver"

My guess is that it came with your motherboard, and might be on the disk that was included in the package.

Ya the sm bus controller was part of the motherboard drivers from the nvidia website. it fixed the yellow flag right up. I'm tryin to get the blue screen to come up again. but so far it seems ok. although i've only been playing for 15 20 mins.

I checked my Event Viewer and I keep getting a WMI error

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Any idea what this is?

Can be either a programming error or a hardware error:
From Microsoft:
If WMI returns error messages, be aware that they may not indicate problems in the WMI service or in WMI providers. Failures can originate in other parts of the operating system and emerge as errors through WMI. Under any circumstances, do not delete the WMI repository as a first action because deleting the repository can cause damage to the system or to installed applications.
To obtain more information about the source of the problem, you can download and run the WMI Diagnosis Utility diagnostic command line tool. This tool produces a report that can usually isolate the source of the problem and provide instructions on how to fix it. The report also aids Microsoft support services in assisting you. You can download the WMI Diagnosis Utility here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back