Another audio problem

steelth

I bought 3 pc's all the same at a auction 1 for me ,1 for my parents and 1 for my nephew . LookinAround helped me fix 1 now I'm on to the next 1 and it has a differnet audio problem :(.I looked in the bios it doesn't show the internal audio like the last 1 , it also doesn't show any audio controller in the device manager, I Downloaded the Realtek drivers for this comp. and it shows in the software manager but thats the only place.I took all the steps as my last fix but nothing seems to show .I feel like I'm forgetting something or it is missing something :/

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    24 KB · Views: 5
Hi again Steelth :)

From your post, everything you've tried so far is right. There's a few additional things we can try/look at for this case

1) Go into BIOS setup. What BIOS version is running? And make sure you've looked through each BIOS menu page? (There might be different BIOS tabs. Does the BIOS screen display indicate any other ways to get through the its menus? e.g. some BIOS may also use Page Up and Page Down)

2) Go to the HP support site for your model and reinstall the chipset drivers. Then reboot. Any hint of the audio controller appear now?

3) If still a problem, s[FONT=Arial]ee How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data. and attach to next post[/FONT]

Ok, I found it disabled in the security bios, I enabled it and like a noob I let it find new drivers online.Which it did but it wasn't the right ones for my computer so I DL the right ones and it said it would remove the old ones when installed so I did .But before I did I seen that I could hook speakers to work but the intagraded ones didn't. So anyway I Installed the new driver but now it doesn't show.I mean I see the high def. audio device, but it still has the yellow error symbol "code 10".High def. audio controller is fine no symbol, I ran another dxdiag. it still shows nothing. I did try to install the drivers again but I get an error now. thx again for your help

This case a bit different then your last one as this computer uses Hi Defintion audio and the last did not (it used AC97 audio - the old, non-Hi Def audio standard). So some of devices and device IDs we look for will be a bit different. Let me see what ya got at this point.

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next post by clicking the Upload a File button

Ok, for some odd reason it just wouldn't copy from the sys. info but here is what it said High Def. Audio...HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000&REV_1004\4&BE96003&0&031 This Device Cannot Start......So from what you said before I probably should of tryed to configure the drivers to work that the computer got off the internet , rather than downloading diff. drivers from the hp website? Or am I jumping to far ahead,lol

High Definition Audio Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000&REV_1004\4&BE96003&0&0301 This device cannot start.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
Just fyi.... Hi Def Audio connects to Windows like this
Windows <===> Hi Def Audio Controller <====> HD Audio Devices​
Now that you have internal audio enabled (good job, btw :) ) we see the Hi Def Audio Controller detected and its driver installed.

And now that the controller is working, it's detecting Hi Def audio devices that connect to it (HD Audio devices have ID strings that start HDAUDIO\). And we see one! (that's the good news). So our next task is finding the right driver.

Those long and cryptic ID strings are not easy to copy by hand. I noticed a couple typo's in the string you provided (don't feel bad, like I said they're very hard to copy by hand). Try msinfo32 Problem Report again and try again copy/paste. If still doesn't do it, [FONT=Arial]see How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data.The string I want to see should be listed in that report as well.https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic154076.html[/FONT]

One Two more thoughts... When you try to copy/paste the msinfo32 Problem Info, be sure you first click on the right pane. The cursor should be in the right pane.

Alternately, look at the msinfo32 menu bar. You can click Edit->Select All and then Edit->Copy and msinfo32 should copy the information for you.

High Definition Audio Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000&REV_1004\4&BE96003&0&0301 This device cannot start. :)

Odd, but the Realtek driver supplied on the HP website for your computer (HP Compaq HP Compaq dc5750 Microtower, right?) isn't a match for your HD audio device!? :confused: Your device must use a different Realtek driver is my guess. I don't know why the one on the HP site is wrong but let's not use it.

1. Let's try again to let Windows find the driver
> Look in Ctl Pnl->Program and Features and uninstall any Realtek Audio driver if one appears there
> Look in Device Manager, find the HD Audio Device (will have the yellow icon), right click and select Update Drivers. Follow the prompts to allow Windows to search the internet for a driver
> Does it find one? Does it install? (check Problem Report and see if HDAUDIO\ still appears). Does your sound work?

2. If still a problem, let's next try the driver on the Realtek site
> Go back and check Program and Features again and if Realtek Audio listed, uninstall it
> Go to the Realtek site. Select HD Audio Codec downloads. Download the Vista driver (executable) - I think you have 32 bit vista, right?

1.Yes it's a HP Compaq dc5750 Microtower
2.I uninstalled what I had
3. I let the comp. look online for audio drivers
4. it found some and installed them, the yellow error message is now gone.
5. now it a messasge that says"This Program has know Compatibilty issues"
6.I can check online for a solution , or run the program
7. I checked online for a solution ,it took me to realtek website , where it then told me to go to the vendor of the comp.
8. now I am back at hp website, not sure if I should try those drivers , or just click the Run Program button on my Comatibility program pop up?

The audio driver on the HP web site is looking for a similar (but not identical) audio chip then the one on your computer. (No idea why yours is different on your machine). But the chips look similar enough, maybe the HP driver will work for it too.

So... I hacked the HP audio driver so it should install on your machine. I can't predict it'll work but is worth a try.
> Uninstall the old Realtek driver first from Program and Features
> Create a System Restore point (just in case)
> Download this [link removed temporarily, see below], extract and save to a folder on your desktop and run the Setup.exe file

You may need to reboot for it to finish the reinstall. The yellow icon in device manager should disappear. Question is: does your now sound work?

/* EDIT */
Just realized I need to modify an additional driver file. Will do so tomorrow, update the link again and let you know

It works,with external speakers not with the internal one , but that is fine .Still said This Program has know Compatibilty issues,but it doesn't show an error , so I just hide it .So it doesn't pop up anymore and bam works great thank you again for all your help.

You're most welcome. Glad to hear it worked :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving

p.s. Keep a copy of that driver somewhere. At some point future I'll probably remove it from DropBox.

Back