Another CPU Temp. Question

By rockyrakun
Aug 14, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Really Concerned - CPU Temp. Question

Ok just recently my computer started acting up. Anytime I do anything like running virus scan, defrag etc. My fans are constantly running at 100% and the cpu temp is around 85-90c and when it is idling it is around 70-75c. Speed fan has an alarm for my temps and its as follows

--IDLING--
    Temp 1 - 65 - 80c Has an alarm
    Temp 2 - 30 - 40c Says it needs to be lower
    Temp 3 - 25 - 30c Says it needs to be lower
    Core - 50 - 60cc has an alarm

I am pretty sure this is bad and I wanna know if it could be bios settings, or hardware.

Im running a

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 2611 MHz

Im just really concerned, cause if it is hardware I do have a warranty and can take it in.

I can never finish a virus scan because it always shutsdown about halfway through the scan.

I hate to ask about temp questions like alot of others I just need help

What would be the best suggestion to help cool my PC?

Thanks
    Rocky
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

did you build the computer your self
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Firstly remove your log
    Seeming it has your sn in it
    (Edit->Advanced Edit->Remove attachment)

Then I would suggest that you open up the case, and using compressed air, blow out all the internal dust (everywhere!)

From report:
  4. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Design temp is 70 degrees. If warranteed take it back.
  5. rockyrakun

rockyrakun Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok firstly i will clean dust considering i have had this computer over a year and i have until april 09 till the warranty expires.

If that doesn't help I will take it back to Best Buy. I only puchased it because it was a birthday gift and it was all my parents could afford to get me X3

Yeah if I dont do anything at all it still idles about 65-70c but when i was running virus scan it got as high as 86c/200f and that really scared me considering all I can hear most of the time is my fans constantly running.

But thanks for the advice I will do the compressed air/dust removal thing :p
  6. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

if you bought it at best buy and you take off the side panel i think it would void your warranty
  7. kimsland

According to Gateway, you do not have a warranty
    Unless it was extended, and they haven't updated their site
    You may want to re-confirm your warranty status with them

Also please update your "Mobo" information in your Profile to say: Gateway GT5426E
  8. rockyrakun

Its a service and replacement waranty from bestbuy not gateway
  9. kimsland

Oh!

And can you now (!) Please swap the info around in CPU and Mobo (you have them the wrong way around)
  10. rockyrakun

lol sorry im still newish to techy stuff. Im have knowledge in programs but im still learning hardware lol.
  11. kimsland

Done :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.