Another Dell from Hell

By jacatro
Oct 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Dell Problem- Inspirion 15 series (I think) friends system- I looked at it briefly-
    She ran CCleaner- resulted in a loss of html on Google browser- IE Firefox OK-
    No biggie, except that she was also locked out of Control Panel-
    Started playing around w it- she lost power- took it home to plug it in-
    Ran SP3 update from Microsoft and guess what she got? BSOD-DRM-Will not boot in safe mode or anything else-

Ideas?
  2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

you could try a repair install of windows xp, not sure if all dell recovery cds support the repair option but its worth a try, also if you have a windows xp cd of the same version you could try it with that

Repair install:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

the repair install shouldn't result in lost data just repair the xp install

edit: just for fun did you try starting in "last known good configuration" (hit F8 on startup)
  3. jacatro

jacatro Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Dell Hell

YUP- tried all- ended up going into the Bios and running the Dell diagnostic from there- a friend (Dell tech) said that it wouldnt do anything anyway-
    Yeah- Im going to just install the XP over it to save data- my concern is that if its a virus, it may be like throwing an icecube into a furnace- but from here I cant run anything to remove-
    Just wondering the cause-
  4. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

5. jacatro

jacatro Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No- it went badly after the update-right to blue screen-she had some kind of a browser issue that should have been fixed by the update, but instead, it crashed- God knows-
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.