Another "Driver state power failure" BSOD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys.

I'm new here and I'm having the exact same problems many of the users here reported on different Windows system: highly random BSODs with "driver state power failure" messages. Usually I get them using Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop, but as said, they're popping up randomly.

I tried all the usual suggestions like adjusting the hibernation options, fiddling with power schemes and the likes, reverted my Vista Ultimate x64 system a million times (though actually never tried to reformat the drive since I'm hoping it's a specific driver problem of some sort of maybe faulty ram), uninstalled some peripheral drivers... nothing worked. Sometimes the problem seemed resolved and then it happened again at the peak of my workflow. Very annoying.

Here's my specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Intel Q9300
8GB (4x2GB) of Patriot DDR2 V2.2 PC-6400 rated 4-4-4-12 (running them on 5-5-5-12 V2.2 because of Vista stability issues with 4 sticks of ram)
9800GTX
4 HDD drives
Creative X-Fi Fatality (with internal bay)
FDD, two DVD-R recorders
Corsair TX 750W power supply
Logitech keyboard and mouse (G15, G5)

Been having extensive problems with this PC. At the beginning a strange "MEMORY T" problem was happening. The PC would freeze at POST screen when the memory was being counted (stopped at memory testing, hence "memory t"). I solved it by disconnecting a random USB peripheral from the PC (whether a USB stick or the external drive or even the Wacom tablet) (and sticked with disconnecting a WD external hard drive and using the eSata connection instead).

Lately, apart from the mentioned BSODs, the computer sometimes loads Vista, I get to the password input screen, then when I log on, the whole screen goes blank and the mouse pointer blinks forever. I can call in the task manager (ctrl+alt+tab), but it doesn't show, so I have to manually log off and then log in again. Sometimes this solves the problem, other times the whole "blank screen mouse blinking" issue doesn't happen at all. And, again, sometimes I solve it just by restarting the whole damn thing.

As far as I'm concerned, I want to solve the BSODs first, then worry about everything else. But since all these issues keep coming up randomly, I think it's a hardware issue of some sort. Hope it's not the mobo, cause I really don't want to lose that much time reparing the main graphic workstation and reinstalling everything all over again. Btw, I wanted to flash the BIOS, but there's no official final release out there (expect for around 4 beta versions).

Attaching the latest zipped minidumps (for some reason there's only three of them, all the other BSODs didn't leave no minidump). I'd be very, very grateful to anyone checking out the files and pinpointing why the BSOD issue is happening. If you need any more info, just ask.

Thanks in advance, guys!

MiniDump 053008-01:
BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800bd50050, fffffa800bd11060, fffffa8009031010}
Probably caused by : sbp2port.sys

MiniDump 070108-01:
BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800ba34050, fffffa800ba48290, fffffa80093efac0}

MiniDump 070208-01:
BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800bac8050, fffffa800a3a5060, fffffa80097a7c60}

Definition Of BugCheck 0x9F
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.

The cause seems to be that Windows driver which controls the Network card or something similar, try updating your network drivers and do a Windows update as well.
Also this could be very useful on the Microsoft Site it will check a Driver that you specify is the right one i think
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms792872.aspx

Thanks, Woody.

The funny thing is that I disabled the automatic Realtek update of my integrated network adapter for one particular reason: each time I installed it, the BSODs would raise in frequency.

Makes a lot of sense, even if I'd be more than certain the new drivers (not that Realtek is issuing new updates often - sadly the exact opposite is true) won't help.

But anyways: thanks again, I'll look into it! I owe you a beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back