Another "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBolt

Another "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Issue (Only During Video Gaming)

Back again with another BSOD problem...
For the most part, my rig is running fine with the exception of when I run any 3D app (video game). What's happening is, about 3 to 5 minutes in a game my pc will either freeze forcing a reboot or BSOD with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error pointing to a ntoskrnl.exe / driver fault. Up to this point, I have:

-checked cpu/gpu temps during use (windowed 3d apps with temp monitors visible) with my cpu loading at around 48C and my gpu(s) loading at 70C and 74C. BSOD / freezes have happened at temperatures less than temps cited above.

-checked system memory using Memtest for several hours, no errors

-fresh reinstall of WinXp Pro with SP2 slipstreamed

-disabled SLI and ran with a single gpu (tested both of them solo to see if one card in particular was causing the problem) and got NO blue sceens/crashes...curious.

-tried different and updated video drivers (currently using the 175.19 drivers)

So far I only have one actual minidump...the other crashes either just froze or the screen went blank, in both instances forcing a reboot. (I did have two other previous minidumps but, stupid me, when I formated my drive to reinstall Xp, I forgot to move the dumps to a different drive...consequently having those dumps erased. But, if memory serves, the were the same IRQL / ntoskrnl BSODs.) EDIT: SEE EDIT NOTE BELOW

I'm thinking that something is not liking my SLI set up (?) Funny how everything was fine a few months ago, prior to me having to send one of my cards back to XFX for replacement. At that time, after a number of tests, I determined that one card was overheating (XFX Tech Support confirmed and replaced the card) BUT prior to sending the card back, one of my "diagnotics" was a fresh install of Xp. At that time, for whatever reason, I could not get Xp (Pro) to install because it did not support PCIe until SP2 (or so I've read) so I slipstreamed my disk and installed that way...worked, but obviously did not address my crashes at that time (discovered to be a 2 month old gpu that crapped out). Damn my old failing brain for I can't remember how I installed Xp when I first built this computer and everything worked great until the gpu took a dump. Anyway, I've read so much info related to the IRQL / ntoskrnl crashes that I really don't know what to address at this point. I'm not real clear at deciphering a minidump and am hoping someone here can enlighten me a bit. Attached is my minidump, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TBolt

Pardon my double post but I just ran into another curious thing that just further confuses me...initially doing my bug check, it pointed to the ntoskrnl as the probably cause. My bug check however was based on symbols I downloaded and installed from MS, in a file I have on my computer to which I point to prior to opening a dump file.

Now, while reading a thread related to "deciphering" dump files, it shows a web address to use for getting needed symbols (http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols)...very handy I think. However, the results are a little different with this bug check as it point to a ntkrpamp.exe as the probable cause of the crash. Still doesn't help me much...:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back