TechSpot

Another Netbook Headache - XP

By EXCellR8
Mar 30, 2010
  1. Once again my sister has managed to turn her MSI Wind U-100 into a useless paperweight. She let the computer die and now it displays a BSOD that disappears before I can read it. I know there is a root directory mentioned but it literally only appears for a split second and then the computer restarts. Safe mode doesn't work and I can't run any CD/DVD tools because it has no optical drive.

I'd like to perform a repair install but since I can't use an OEM CD-ROM I'm kinda stuck. I had to reformat and reinstall XP using a USB flash drive in the past but when I launch that up it doesn't give me the option to repair install the OS. I also can't run chkdsk or anything like that from the pen drive either.

I did a little searching and it seems I can use the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows on a USB drive by using PE2USB but that sure seems like a lot of work. I was just wondering if I was overlooking something more obvious, or if someone else could recommend me an alternate solution... other than stepping on it which I am considering at this point :)

Thanks in advance

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

Okay so it turns out that the blue screen was flagging a registry entry, which one exactly remains a mystery, but I was able to fix it. I had to borrow a friend's external DVD drive so I could run chkdsk (i got sick of trying it with USB flash drives) and it sorted it out. I think that may be the first time running that actually fixed something but at least I didn't have to reformat that worthless thing again.

3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

So EXCellR8 I take it no more netbooks for you? :)

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,456   +228

Now that it's working you might want to disable the automatic restart when you get the bluescreen, you know, for next time. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.