Another "non-adjustable" bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrmidonks

Hi guys I have almost exactly the same problem as zeuseng06. My dell studio xps 9000(435t) does not have CPU overclocking options available from the bios. I talked to a dell techie about this, and he said

9:30:21 PM 'name'
It is better you do not do it.
9:30:32 PM 'name'
It might hamper the performance.

Now from what I have heard, overclocking should not hamper performance, unless voltage is increased. I know my computer is good enough already, but I want to overclock the CPU for the fun of it, even for only a couple hours.

Specs:

Studio XPS 9000 (435t)

Mobo: Intel® X58(Tylersburg)/ ICH10R
Processor: Core i7-920 2.66 Ghz (stock)
Ram: 8 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz
GPU: HD 5870 1GB (not sure of maker) @ 800Mhz GPU clock & 1200 Mhz memory clock
Hard Drive: ST3750528AS (seagate barracuda) 750 GB 7200 RPM
PSU: 475w stock (I have been told by dell this is fine for the 5870, even though the recommended PSU is higher.
CD/DVD: 2 16x--nothing fancy

Love to hear your opinions and options I have for overclocking. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• puz.JPG
    puz.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 4
well first of all it would not hamper performance but help increase it at the stock spee that 920 cpu is probably bottle necking the 5870 card you have.

the makers of OEM machines, and their help desk 'techs' are trained to discourage you from OC'ing and to try and 'save you from yourself' the idea that Oc'ing will hamper performance is preposterous. They also take motherboards from their vendors and neuter them so you have no control in the bios over the clocks and voltages...again in an attempt to save you from yourself. increasing the voltage is not a hindrance to performance, but necessary to attain a certain frequency, and you apply only enough to achieve a stable OC. as long as it is done within reason and within the manufacturers thermal specifications it will enhance performance and not 'fry' your CPU .
If you are new to overclocking you would be well advised to do some reading on the subject to understand what you are getting into. here are a few articles that explain the basics and overclocking theory and practice.
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/69793.aspx
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/newbie-oc-guide.html
I have been able over the years to find software that will gain at least partial control over the FSB and voltages when dealing with an OEM proprietary motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back