Another PC build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grip

I had a PC crash and had to reformat my hard drive since I was low on HD space so I figured I would upgrade to a Hard drive I was going to use for backups but didn't.

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKB - 500gb 7200rpm IDE/EIDE 3.5" internal drive

I installed Window 7 and when I look at the performance it seems very poor. I'm debating whether to upgrade my Video/Graphics card and memory or to upgrade the whole system. I hate to just upgrade two things and then end up needing more in a few months.

Here's what I have:
Motherboard: ECS GF7050VT-M
Processor: Intel Pentium E2200 2.20ghz
Core Speed: 1198.5mhz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7050/NVIDIA nForce 610i
Memory: 1GB DDR2 266mhz PC2-4300
Power Supply: ATX 500w SATA 20+4pin
Optical Drive: LG #GH22NP20 (22xDVDR DVD+RW 16xDVD+R)

I would like to keep what I can but understand if it would be better to start from scratch. My budget is around $500.00 give or take, and I use the PC for converting and downloading videos and my son uses it for his WOW obsession. I tried to add all the needed information, but if I'm missing something let me know.
Thanks in advance for the advice and recommendations.

Thanks, you talked me into the upgrade but I tweeked your suggestions since I don't care for AMD. I'm planning on getting the following:

Motherboard: AsRock P55 Pro
Processor: Intel Core i5 750
Graphics: XFX GS250XZDFU
Memory: Corsair 2x(2GB) XMS3 DDR3 (PC3-12800)
Hard Drive: WD1001FALS 1TB 7200rpm SATA 3.0GB
PS: AZZA Dynamo 650w
Case: AZZA Helios 910

It's a little over the budget that I quoted you, but my birthday coming so I figured what the heck. Thanks again I think I'll be much happier with the total overhaul rather that just upgrading a piece at a time.

For about $10 more you can get the Radeon HD 5770. It's a much better GPU than the GTS 250.

The rest looks fine. :)

Thanks. That was on the advice from my techie son. He says he doesn't like Radeon, but I've never been steered wrong in this forum so I will follow your advice. Thanks again. I can't wait to put it together.

At that price point the Radeons are much better performers. You could look into the GTX 260 if your son absolutely does not want to get an ATI card.

I think he had a bad experience with ATI before. I started researching the Radeons and there is a lot of forums with problems running Windows 7 64bit. Is this common or has this been corrected? Also if I'm looking into these what manufacturer do you suggest? There are so many with the same card, and I don't know who is reliable. Thanks

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit with a Radeon HD 4890. No issues at all. Most manufacturers such as XFX, Sapphire, Powercolor, etc. are reliable enough.

However, like I said before, if you don't want an ATI then don't get one. It's a matter of personal preference. The nVidia GTX 260 is a good choice though it will cost slightly more than ATI products that perform at the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back