Another Radeon 9800 pro Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the card for about six months and ever since the day I've had it every game I play crashes. They play fine for really random amounts of time sometimes it can be a few minuts and other times 1-2 hours or sometimes if I'm really lucky more. I thought it could be over heating so I opened the case and put an extra fan on it didnt help what so ever. I've help every single driver thats ever existed still have the problem. I bought a new power supply. I've reformated. I've played all my games on the lowest possible settings but still the little ***** problem is still there and it's driving me completley insane someone please help me :mad:

Hi
What games are affected this way?
What are the specs on your system? psu, mem, mobo, cpu etc...
What cpu temps are shown after the games lock up?
Does the entire system lock up and need a reboot or just the game dies?

I can only answer a couple of your questions everygame I own locks up I dont have to rebbot just press exit. As for specs etc I dont really know so should I do a dxdiag or something?

Hi
Your dxdiag showed no directx problems, so I think that kinda points to a heat or psu related issue. Of course, dxdiag tests d3d only, so only applies to d3d games, and the parts of directx that opengl games use. Dxdiag hardly stresses the system though, so generating enough heat, or stressing the psu like a game does is out of the question. Some ati owners have found relief from crashes by increasing the cooling in the system, putting more fans inside the case, and hopefully directing some airflow to the grafix card. Some have replaced the hsf on the card with a better cooling unit. I added a solid copper hsf from a 1u server system to my 9700, it's low profile so it wouldn't take up the first pci slot. Speaking of pci slots, if you can move all the pci cards away from the vid card, you should get better cooling.This and ram sinks have allowed me to oc the card from 310/325 to 344/351 core and mem, as an example. Not much of an oc but absolutely stable, even with no volt mod to the card. By the way, I have found the 5.7 cats to be the best driver for my 9700 so far.

RMA means Return of Merchandise Authorization. You contact the maker and tell them your card is fooched, they tell you to send it to them for replacement, if they believe you. And if you have a valid warranty.

As well, have you updated your mobo driver?

Some thoughts for you.

Here's a possibility. Did you plug in the molex connector from the power supply to the graphics card? I checked a few different branded cards and they all required it.

My heads about to implode :dead:

can you give me a short of step by step about all the things you suggested as Im kinda **** at computers.
I've opened my computer and all I have near my graphics card is an old modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back