Another Video Card Upgrade Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrasherFan22

Hey there all :D It has been a very long time since I posted on these forums. Recently, I have become VERY annoyed with the frame rate that WoW plays at (usually 25 or less on a GOOD day) and I have also recently bought Warhammer Online. When I try to load up WAR, it gives me an error message stating "System video card fails minimum specs -- Warhammer will now terminate." I have downloaded the updates for my video drivers so I know that isn't the cause. I saw other topics on the net asking the same thing and a lot of people have said that it is because the video card is not supported. I don't see why mine is not, seeing as i have a Dell XPS that is only a little over a year old. Anyway, since it is the video card, I'm going to upgrade. Here are my system specs (and thanks to the sticky, I know which ones to post :D)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
Core Speed: 1596.0 MHz
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: 0WG860
RAM: 2 gigs DDR2

I'm not sure about the power supply, because it doesn't specify on the back of the PC itself nor can I find it in the CPUZ software. Also, after searching around, I think I found the PC's "video card"

Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family

Also, I am running Vista-32 Bit OS, if that changes anything (which I have a hunch that it does ;) )

I think maybe it is because it is a chipset is the problem but that is just a guess. I am pretty new to the depth of PCs

If any more info is needed, please tell me :D Thanks

So video card seems to be the main issue at this point.
The G965 Express is actually an integrated card, which is only really useful for running Windows, and not games. What you need to find out is if your PC supports PCI-E Video cards. To do this, download CPU-Z, and check under the mainboard tab. It should say near the bottom.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Alright, well after looking under the mainboard tab, I looked to find something along those lines and all I see in that tab is:

Motherboard:
Manufacturer: Already Stated
Model: Already Stated
Chipset: Intel P965/G965
Rev.: C2
Southbridge: Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH)
LPCIO: SMSC

BIOS:

Brand: Dell Inc.
Version: 2.4.0
Date: 05/24/07

I can't seem to find whether or not they are supported or not

Also, looking at the date, I suppose it is actually almost 2 years old :p

Thanks for your response

EDIT: Fixed a typo :p

If you have a Dell XPS 210, you have a PCI-E slot free. I recommend the HD 4670 if you are gaming at any resolution upto 1440x900.

^ I'm with him. Considering the power of your processor it's a fair match if you can find a cheap one.

Also, you'll likely need to upgrade your power supply as well, especially if it's 300W or under.
To find out, open the side of the case (The left side if you're looking at the front) and look at the back, at the top. On the side of the box there (The power supply) it'll list specs, both wattage, and the Amperage on the 12V rail. I need that info.

Alrighty, I'll open it up tomarrow morning to look at the power supply. I'm redownloading WAR onto another PC to try and play it on there :D

Sorry super, but Mario is just too damn cool :p

The HD 4670 does not need a PCI-E power connector, so you do not need a PSU upgrade. The Dell stock PSU is fine, and is usually underrated in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back