Another Windows 7 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dollhobbs

I bought the Win 7 upgrade and it came with both 32 & 64bit disks (am currently using vista home premium 64bit) question is will just upgrading leave all my games and programs useable?

Yes

Yes, the "upgrade" version of Win7 will leave all your Vista apps and settings intact.

Since you have 64bit Vista, you MUST install the 64bit Win7 upgrade (not that you'd WANT to downgrade, but some do.)

Mugsy what do you mean by " not that you'd WANT to downgrade, but some do." and thanks for the reply. I did the upgrade this morning and all went smoothly.

Compatibility

There are some "minor" software incompatibilities between the 64bit and 32bit versions of Windows... most notably, old 32bit drivers. If you have any old "legacy" hardware in your PC for which there is no 64bit driver, your only option is to replace it with one that does. 64bit versions of Windows do not support 32bit drivers. No way, no how.

(and I have plenty of legacy hardware, so upgrading would be costly.)

The advantages of 64bit FAR outweight the advantages of continuing to use the old 32bit platform, but I won't upgrade (I still use 32bit XP Pro) until MS abandons the 32bit platform entirely. Software developers will continue to write for the Lowest Common Denominator to maximize their sales until MS gives them and everyone else no other choice but to upgrade.

Until then, I'm sticking with my trusty & reliable 32bit XP.

I'll just add this to this post to keep things neater. Occasionally( on 4th or so start) when I power up my PC it will get to the login screen, I then enter my password and hit enter and the PC hard freezes where I have to turn off the power and then restart it. It has always started and logged on OK on the second attempt. I don't know what else to add other then it has never done this before I installed windows 7.

Since upgrading?

(on 4th or so start) when I power up my PC it will get to the login screen, I then enter my password and hit enter and the PC hard freezes where I have to turn off the power and then restart it.
This is a new problem since upgrading then?

You should probably start a new thread so you can rename the topic and attract some help on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back