Antarctica experienced the sharpest heatwave ever seen on Earth last year, researchers say

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: Temperatures in East Antarctica were 70 degrees Fahrenheit above normal last March, likely thanks to an abnormal shift in the air from Australia. While scientists say the impact of climate change was likely minimal, further global heating could push such polar swings dangerously close to melting temperatures.

A recently published study reveals that the most severe heatwave ever recorded on Earth occurred in Antarctica in March 2022. While huge temperature swings are somewhat common in high latitudes, the ongoing effects of climate change could make them more dangerous.

Temperatures at Dome C station in East Antarctica are usually around minus 54 degrees Celsius (minus 65 degrees Fahrenheit) in March, but last year they briefly rose to minus 15C (5F), above summer highs for the area. Although those temperatures are still freezing, they represent an unprecedented 39C (70F) spike.

Researchers say the heatwave resulted from unusual weather patterns that introduced warm, humid air from Australia. Furthermore, atmospheric conditions in high latitudes sometimes cause extreme temperature swings in parts of Antarctica, Siberia, and northern portions of North America.

Although scientists frequently deduce that climate change increases the likelihood and severity of extreme weather events, it likely only accounts for a 2C difference in the March 2022 heatwave. The number may appear insignificant, but it could rise by 5 or 6 degrees before the end of the century, putting similar heatwaves in future decades uncomfortably close to melting temperatures.

Ice sheet loss, which causes seal level rise, is one of the primary concerns stemming from climate change. According to NASA, Antarctica has lost 146 billion metric tons of ice mass per year since 2002. Antarctica and Greenland together contain two-thirds of the Earth's freshwater, and their ice loss due to ocean warming over the last two decades is behind one-third of the global average sea level rise since 1993.

Furthermore, European climatologists said July 2023 was Earth's hottest month on record. Combined observational and paleoclimate records indicate the planet hasn't seen global average temperatures this high for 120,000 years, since long before complex human civilization emerged.

Rising temperatures aren't the only measure by which human activity has pushed the Earth outside the boundaries under which mankind has established agriculture and built cities. A recent analysis based on various studies reveals that biosphere integrity, freshwater change, land system shifts, and other factors have also changed drastically since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

Permalink to story.

"Climate change impact likely minimal, but could rise to dangerous levels in the future"

More of those "could" statements, after yet another prediction didnt happen. Hmmm......

"Researchers say the heatwave resulted from unusual weather patterns that introduced warm, humid air from Australia. Furthermore, atmospheric conditions in high latitudes sometimes cause extreme temperature swings in parts of Antarctica, Siberia, and northern portions of North America."

Ah, so this kind of thing happens. Surely, this wouldnt be used as evidence that we are all DOOOOMED, right?

"Climate change impact likely minimal, but could rise to dangerous levels in the future"

More of those "could" statements, after yet another prediction didnt happen. Hmmm......

"Researchers say the heatwave resulted from unusual weather patterns that introduced warm, humid air from Australia. Furthermore, atmospheric conditions in high latitudes sometimes cause extreme temperature swings in parts of Antarctica, Siberia, and northern portions of North America."

Ah, so this kind of thing happens. Surely, this wouldnt be used as evidence that we are all DOOOOMED, right?
There are so many things we do that could lead to human extinction that it's absurd. Climate change doesn't care if people think it's real(note, I'm not saying global warming). The climate changing can kill us. I'm not saying the solution is solar panels and electric cars. I am saying that if we don't take preventative measures to protect our coastlines and food supply it will kill us. So of we keep trying to politicize climate change(both sides are guilty of this) then we deserve to die

Only the most out of touch can fail to see the effects of what is popularly called "global warming". Never in documented history or in historical research that goes back tens of thousands of years has the earth seen this magnitude of effects although the "ice age" had similar but to a colder effect. While the exact date/time is unknown we are rapidly approaching the point of no return. Not to worry, the earth will survive, but it's occupants may not so in another 100 million years the earth will return to it's more pristine condition and hopefully the next occupants will do more to preserve it.

"...most severe heatwave ever recorded on Earth". Hmm, even if you drill the ice and determine accurate weather by order of months, you can`t go further than 800k years. Most severe ever? The keyword is "recorded" and that is extremely limited.

No way! Nothing bad is happening around us and we huamns have nothing to do with it.

The experts have said so, you know, experts like Fox Noise and that sweat-drenched DeSantis dude from Florida.

Just turn let the AC blast a bit stronger and everything will go away. Eventually.

I live at 1900ft evaluation ... Drown all the low people for all I care .. then my land becomes more valuable. win win for me ...

And what does this one have to do with tech this time? Is it a techy graphs? They certainly don't go back far enough to make such sweeping predictions.

I can find these types of articles on Facebook, don't need them here too.

Climate change is destroying our environment. If the United States had only implemented meaningful changes 14,000 years ago, we would still have giant glaciers standing instead of five Great Lakes full of the largest fresh water supply on earth.

I live at 1900ft evaluation ... Drown all the low people for all I care .. then my land becomes more valuable. win win for me ...

It's hardly about people actually drowning. It's about how even small changes to things like the food supply or economic growth can cause massive societal disruptions. Heck we've been in a pretty comfy place with longer, healthier lives, less poverty and fewer major wars than practically ever before in recorded history, and yet people are already so unhappy that about half wouldn't hesitate to vote to kill democracy and evidence based decision making tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's been warmer, it's been colder. It's been wetter, its been dryer. It's called a CYCLE.
1,2,5,10,50,100 years of data is NOTHING compared to the age of the earth. In the 90's when all of
the panic was the earth is going to melt, the melting ice in the polar region of Europe, uncovered an abandoned
settlement. Scientist go nuts at all the discoveries. It was dated to the 12-1300's. NOT ONCE did anyone say
wait a minute! How could it be so warm back then, without the industrial revolution, burning of fossil fuels, that
there was no ice, and the climate was warm enough to sustain a bunch of people living here.

This is fun.
Like watching old TV footage of people explaining how ridiculous it is to wear a seat belt in the car, or that they've always been drinking beers and driving, why is it suddenly illegal? Outrageous!

Too bad I'm part of the joke, breathing polluted air and having had an unbearable summer. I wish I could control my own environment...

Last edited:
I stated it for years - you are wasting your arguing with climate change deniers - they are flat earthers
That argument is over the proof is so overwhelming you probably have more chance winning that huge USA lottery

Remember when they repeated lies about the world not warming- I do they did it for decades - none admitted they got if wrong - they are here now saying cycles
Remember when they felt they had an actual argument - like - This brilliant lone scientist with 20 initials after his name says it's all BS

I do

Now for the last 3-5 years = it's the magical words "it's just a cycle"

Do you know how stupid that makes you sound - real real stupid

"A" cycle - some yet unknown cycle we know nothing about
When will this cycle end ??- don't know - only this magical cycle the big polluters tell us in their online paid fronts know

So with each climate change article we get the same commentators cycling the same cycle Bs -

Least a kids -" just because" makes more sense

None of these gullible people to Fox , and fronts for big polluters can even put up an argument
instead of "just a cycle " - could say because "Grandma has gas" , or the Easter Bunny needs to run faster as more kids ( least that could account for warming - the extra energy of Santa and Easter Bunny )

Can one of you that claim - it's just a cycle come and tell as what Cycle , what evidence and the periodicity of said cycle - you know we were meant to be in a mini-ice age cycle but thanks to Humans from Industrial revolution times we are pumping out CO2 etc - funny that's when the world starting warming up

Do you people are no embarrassment spouting Fox BS - you can see climate change out your window

This year 30 plus mega floods around the world ( you know once in a life time type floods ) - more huge fires
Well these floods , droughts , fires , warmest year on record will keep happening - and people will keep saying it's just a cycle - Temps in Artic sometimes hugely above average

As for why a tech article - as will affect all tech going forward - to be more efficient , use waste heat , new ways etc

Good thing is in 5 years even these stupid people will be too self-conscious to spout nonsense it's just a clown whoops I mean cycle
They will say - I have mine - why should I pay - we can't do anything any way - close the borders

Awaiting your arguments that Never come - why it's just some unknown cycle beyond our ability to find or understand

Cyclists use to be able to say - but was warmer in Roman times - but they know that sounds silly as was warmer in Italy etc not world over

It's hardly about people actually drowning. It's about how even small changes to things like the food supply or economic growth can cause massive societal disruptions.
From what I can tell, a more significant problem is government intervention at all, especially via war and government control. Here is a list of manmade disasters since you're describing this scenario: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll

And a summarized list of the most deadly by each type:
War - World War II: 91,021,920 casualties
War crimes - World War II: 29,074,054 deaths
Abusive work - Atlantic Slave Trade: 10,954,451 deaths
Genocide - Native Americans: 12,649,111 deaths
Political regimes - Communism - 64,629,069 deaths
Political purges - Landlords via Mao Zedong: 2,366,432 deaths
Imprisonment - Auschwitz: 1,300,000 deaths
Diseases - Black Death: 137,500,000 deaths
Famines - Great Chinese Famine: 25,258,662 deaths
Human Sacrifice - Aztec culture: 316,228 deaths

6/10 of these have occurred in the last 100 years, all of these recent events being government orchestrated. These make up 4 of the top 5 most deadly categories (the Black Death being the top, but also one of/if not the least orchestrated by humans). So I see the largest issues caused by is authoritarian governments (which also caused the largest famine ever). The other items listed not from the last century happened over a very long period. The one thing to note is this past century has the highest populations ever, so there may be a better way to compare the most deadly events by humans.

This is fun.
Like watching old TV footage of people explaining how ridiculous it is to wear a seat belt in the car, or that they've always been drinking beers and driving, why is it suddenly illegal? Outrageous!

Too bad I'm part of the joke, breathing polluted air and having had an unbearable summer. I wish I could control my own environment...
You can control which environment is your own if it's that unbearable. Humans have migrated for the vast majority of its history. Maybe it's more bearable than you think.

I stated it for years - you are wasting your arguing with climate change deniers - they are flat earthers
That argument is over the proof is so overwhelming you probably have more chance winning that huge USA lottery

Remember when they repeated lies about the world not warming- I do they did it for decades - none admitted they got if wrong - they are here now saying cycles
Remember when they felt they had an actual argument - like - This brilliant lone scientist with 20 initials after his name says it's all BS

Whoa, the farce is strong in that one.

Climate Realists - whom you facetiously call 'deniers' - generally agree that the Earth is warming. That's never been the issue. What they 'deny' is that anthropogenic Co2 is the cause.

We know for a fact that the earth's climate changes naturally, all by itself. Only 14,000 years ago there were mile thick glaciers covering much of the northern hemisphere. These natural climactic changes happened without any human intervention.

But 'Warmists' ignore natural climate change and attribute ALL warming to human activity. Ask a Warmist how much of the present gradual warming is natural, and you'll get a blank stare. They don't know.

Most Warmist claims are based on computer projections. Early projections from the 1990's were all over the place. They were what cause Al Gore to infamously suggest that glaciers would disappear within 20 years. He bought into the projections.

CO2 is definitely having an effect on global greening. NASA has a website with satellite photos showing the earth is significantly greener than 50 years ago. But is that a bad thing?

Commercial greenhouses use CO2 to boost plant growth. They don't experience runaway temperatures or desert conditions. Quite the opposite. CO2 enhances life, it doesn't destroy it.

Whoa, the farce is strong in that one.

Climate Realists - whom you facetiously call 'deniers' - generally agree that the Earth is warming. That's never been the issue. What they 'deny' is that anthropogenic Co2 is the cause.

We know for a fact that the earth's climate changes naturally, all by itself. Only 14,000 years ago there were mile thick glaciers covering much of the northern hemisphere. These natural climactic changes happened without any human intervention.

But 'Warmists' ignore natural climate change and attribute ALL warming to human activity. Ask a Warmist how much of the present gradual warming is natural, and you'll get a blank stare. They don't know.

Most Warmist claims are based on computer projections. Early projections from the 1990's were all over the place. They were what cause Al Gore to infamously suggest that glaciers would disappear within 20 years. He bought into the projections.

CO2 is definitely having an effect on global greening. NASA has a website with satellite photos showing the earth is significantly greener than 50 years ago. But is that a bad thing?

Commercial greenhouses use CO2 to boost plant growth. They don't experience runaway temperatures or desert conditions. Quite the opposite. CO2 enhances life, it doesn't destroy it.

Just all the usual talking points - what about this , what about that from you supporting big polluters - they feed this junk out to gullible and those who want to believe

No science I will say wil change your mind -If you were active on forums 10 to 15 years ago - you would have been writing it's a lie that the world is getting warmer - NASA is manipulating the data from sea probes etc - I saw lots of those posts from dishonest people

You have said absolutely no science here - just big polluters talking points
Natural cycles , earth warmer x years ago , CO2 good - all these have been debunked as junk or partial truths

Let's take CO2 - I don't even have to look it up- Scientist study CO2 levels on the growth of plants 1000s of studies out there
But you post but but CO2 is great for plants - so all good
Yeah pure sugar is great for energy - get out and eat more- drinking your sugar is best - fanta , apple juice - coffee with 8 tsp knock yourself out

Nitrogen is great for algae in rivers - lets pump more in the rivers - the green looks wonderful

CO2 can lead to fast useless growth - so plant is weak and not nutritious
In a greenhouse - they will make sure all the nutrients are at the right levels
CO2 tends to favour certain plants over others - quite often weeds

As I said - you could actually do some real research instead of being a mouthpiece for big polluters

The Std of prove was past 5 std deviations 4 or 5 years ago - ie the gold standard

There is no country or established group of scientists disagreeing- anymore

CO2 was shown by a woman to be a greenhouse gas 2 hundred years ago Eunice Foote
That fact has never been refuted ever .

But no according to you the rise in temps from after the start of industrial revolution is a Magical Cycle - Not even you or nobody else knows what this cycle is ooooo spooky mystical cycle

What is this magical cycle Tantor ? do you have no embarrassment - doing no research - parroting big polluters

Scientist can measure the magnetic fields of galaxies
Scientists can measure mass/energy of subatomic particles that are rare in a small volume or very not reactive

I'm not going to change your fixed mind - that is invested in this

Back