TechSpot

"Antivirus 2009" Spyware Removal Instructions

By almcneil
Jan 5, 2009
  1. Techspotters,

I have encountered a sticky piece of spyware that I want to pass on the removal instructions for so that no one else wastes hours on it. Two weeks ago I had a customer who had a very sticky piece of spyware (SpywareGuard 2008) that after 8 hours of effort I couldn't remove. It was blocking all the known anti-spyware utilities from being installed, running or downloading new updates. Finally, I found a post from someone at another site who said you needed to rename the program to fool the spyware. I did that and it worked. Today, another customer complained of a spyware infection (Antivirus 2009) and although it's a different name, the symptoms are the same (cannot install or run or update anti-spyware utils) I used the same technique of renaming the anti-spyware program and it worked.

Here are the removal instructions:
    1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (if the spyware blocks access to download, then use another computer and copy the installation program to the infected computer)
    2. Rename the installation program (mbam_setup.exe to setup.exe)
    3. Launch installation program (setup.exe, be patient, it may sit for a long time at "finished" before it actually does finish!)
    4. Go to the program directory (c:\program files\Malwarebyes' Anti-Malware) and rename the executable (mbam.exe to mbam2.exe)
    5. Launch the executable and perform a quick scan
    6. Remove all detected objects and restart the computer
    7. Launch the executable again and check for updates
    8. Perform a full scan
    9. Remove all detected objects and restart the computer

For more detailed instructions (with screenshots) see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009

-- Andy

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.