Antivirus 2009

By charlie61
Nov 20, 2008
  1. I keeep getting a warning that the Antivirus 2009 program is not activated on my computer and I am at risk of a virus infection. I currently have Avast active on the computer. Is Antivirus 2009 a legitimate antivirus or a fake? It keeps coming up in association with the windows security center pop up. How can I delete this?

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Avoid this! Stick with Advast. In fact, do a scan.
  3. mflynn

mflynn TS Rookie Posts: 2,655

Hi charlie61

Do the TechSpot 8 steps:

Do all skip no step (do not install another virus scanner as you already have one).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSptware!

Before you scan with SuperAntiSpyWare do the below:

SuperAntispyware config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

It asks to update the program definitions, click Yes.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

In MalwareBytes after update but before running
    Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update both programs.

Run them and post their logs.

Post a HJT log FIRST before cleaning. And don't send another HJT again until requested.

Do this correctly and we will make a short job of this!

4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with the order of programs suggested here. I do not want to see a HijackThis log first.

It is in your best interest to run ALL Three of the malware cleaning programs- Malware bytes, SuperAntipyware, followed by HijackThis and attach the logs from all three programs at once.

All of this has been carefully laid out in full on
  5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77

Antivirus 2009 is a fake, and a nasty fake too. The subject appears elsewhere in this forum. 22 pages......full. Read 'em ALL Charlie
  6. mflynn

mflynn TS Rookie Posts: 2,655

Sorry but I disagree back!

The HJT log should be first as it shows everything before cleaning and there could be some important information that will not be seen in a HJT log after MBAM SAS and Cleaner have been run.

This unseen info could give insight later. Why in the world would you not want to see ALL the HJT data is beyond me?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.