Any GPU driver makes pc not boot

Hi all,

I was running windows 10, screen froze and locked up.
Restarted the pc and it wouldn't work, tried the troubleshooting, and couldn't fix it.
Where I am at right now: Formatted the os ssd, (though didn't format the two smaller partitions that might have something to do with the os on?) installed windows 7, system boots fine, after any (I tried multiple new and older) AMD drivers (R9 390x) are installed, the pc wont boot to the login stage, the monitor just goes dark (but doesn't say hdmi connection error or anything) after restart. I then tried installing windows 7 on another ssd (original os ssd is still connected), same problem. I have also tried my old Nvidia GTX 680+ and it's subsequent drivers for the exact same problem. The system seems perfectly stable up until any gpu drivers are installed, then always requires a system restore.

I'm at a bit of a loss, any help would be awesome.
Thanks.

I gather from your report that you have tried a known good video card (the 680) and it failed in a similar manner. I imagine you have run DDU and that the installation of drivers was clean - if not go to downloads on this site and get DDU.

"The system seems perfectly stable up until any gpu drivers are installed" - does that mean that it runs properly using generic VGA driver? will it run properly with some boot disk version of Linux?

Since both cards require additional power, could it be an issue with PSU (like a bad 6-pin)? try video cards in another system - do they work?
Alternative to a failing PSU, could it be the PCI-e slot?

Share results.

Yes the 680 was working fine before I upgraded. I used the AMD clean installer from their website a few times with no change, but I reformatted the ssd's before reinstalling windows so I doubt I'd need to use that program.
The generic VGA driver works fine with no problems during startup. As of right now, I have only tried windows as the os.

I swapped the gpu power cables to a different slot in the same psu with no change (I don't have access to another system but do have my previous psu), then tried the next pci-e slot down, with no change.

Thanks for the suggestions though, don't suppose you have any more?

Lets say:
- use and failure of 680 indicates problem NOT video card
- clean install of OS and indicates problem NOT driver/software
- use and failure of older PSU indicates problem NOT PSU

What are we left with?
- motherboard
- RAM

Deep test RAM with bootable memtest86 - run overnight

Hey, sorry for not replying sooner, I've been going through some **** and haven't wanted to face the possibility of failing to fix the pc, especially as it is in a 'working' state.

I did the ram test twice and there's nothing wrong with it.
As for the psu testing, I only used a different cable and slot in the original psu. I haven't used the old psu to power all of the pc yet, I have tried to power only the gpu with it, but get no hdmi signal (gpu fan spins up though) will try and get that to work tomorrow.
Would you suggest trying to swap psu's for all the pc, or is the current gpu only option good enough?
As for the motherboard, are there any options for testing it software wise?
I'm out of my depth here but I've heard stuff about resetting the bios and/or cmos can fix some errors?

I am guessing that this is a relatively new build and that it has never run right and that the motherboard is suspect. Is it under warranty? Guessing that it is.

Apparently everything works without the video card driver. When the driver is installed, the machine freezes. Suggest you try BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to see if there are any crash dump files with answers: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

As to resetting system startup - that is covered in your motherboard manual.

Ok......I am so confused right now, after multiple failures doing the exact same/very similar things. Today I've reinstalled/detected my game files and installed bluescreenviewer (nothing else) restarted, then installed amd drivers, restarted and it's somehow worked????? I very much doubt it, but could the few different game files that required updates have caused something like this?
I am yet to restart the pc (if it breaks again, I might as well get a nights gaming out of it), fingers crossed it'll want to start in the morning.
For reference, the pc is a about 4-5 years old with the gpu, one ssd and the hdd 1 year old.

If it's all fine sailing from here, thanks for the suggestions and help. It's been nice to have someone use their own time to try and help a stranger

Back