Any suggestions for a text-to-speech/screen reader software?

By KathyJ
May 10, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do you know of a software program that will pronounce words for you either free or purchase? I know there are web sites I can go to but I'm not always online in fact, I'm off more than on but my computer is on and I just wanted a program that would do this for me. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your time!
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,257   +110

If you're running windows XP you can just use windows narrator, i've never tried personally, but it is built right into windows so you won't have to install.
    Just press and hold the windows key and press "U".
  3. KathyJ

KathyJ Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 64

So I can just type in a word and it will pronounce it for me? I've never used it either so I'm rather green about it. I am using Windows XP by the way. Thanks for your suggestion.
  4. KathyJ

KathyJ Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 64

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I found exactly what I want. It is a free program, WordWeb, and it works great! It gives the definition, synonyms, and pronounces the word. It has good reviews and I can see why. Thanks again for your time!
  5. Vicbowling

Vicbowling Banned

That sounds good, I haven't tried wordweb but I'll do that.
  6. stevem5000

stevem5000 Newcomer, in training

There are various "talkers" for visually impaired people...
    One is "Thunder"...find it at screenreader.net...
    I expect if you google for "screen reader" you will find others...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.