Any tips on repairing a socket 775 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioVayne

Have just been given a Foxconn 45CMX Motherboard. Some pins on the board have been damaged and at this stage my tactic is to grab a magnifying glass and a stanley knife and just pick n prod them into place...I've done this sort of thing on CPUs but considering the CPU will be pushed into the pins I was wondering if 'one who is more experienced than I' can offer some pointers.

Cheers

Blair

Attachments

• DSCN0504.jpg
    DSCN0504.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0507.jpg
    DSCN0507.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0510.jpg
    DSCN0510.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0511.jpg
    DSCN0511.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0513.jpg
    DSCN0513.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 13
Well I can't afford to buy a new board (I know they're cheap, but I just can't afford it), If I can get it going then I have a new PC

Doing this kind of thing is really a waste of your time... and effort
So was that reply :)

Anyway, that's how I'd approach it too... something flat and pointy (knife) and a magnifying glass.... plenty of light.

I have actually done this before -- on a 775 board no less -- and it worked. It was on a board with only two bent pins though. I don't know exactly how bad yours is, but I'm assuming it is probably worse. :)

Wish I had more pointers for you though. When you put the CPU in, you might need to jiggle it a bit in the socket to get a good seating. Even though you think you've got those pins straight, they probably aren't 100% perfect.

Cheers man, appreciate your tips...I have given it a bit of a go, with a knife and a needle...Ill need something to hold the magnifier so i can perform the surgery with 2 things at once...

If the bent pins aren't exactly straight, you might end up shorting out the CPU, costing more than the motherboard is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back