TechSpot

Any tips on repairing a socket 775 motherboard?

By AudioVayne
Jul 7, 2009
  1. Have just been given a Foxconn 45CMX Motherboard. Some pins on the board have been damaged and at this stage my tactic is to grab a magnifying glass and a stanley knife and just pick n prod them into place...I've done this sort of thing on CPUs but considering the CPU will be pushed into the pins I was wondering if 'one who is more experienced than I' can offer some pointers.

Cheers

Blair

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

Doing this kind of thing is really a waste of your time... and effort

3. AudioVayne

AudioVayne TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 99

Well I can't afford to buy a new board (I know they're cheap, but I just can't afford it), If I can get it going then I have a new PC

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

So was that reply :)

Anyway, that's how I'd approach it too... something flat and pointy (knife) and a magnifying glass.... plenty of light.

I have actually done this before -- on a 775 board no less -- and it worked. It was on a board with only two bent pins though. I don't know exactly how bad yours is, but I'm assuming it is probably worse. :)

Wish I had more pointers for you though. When you put the CPU in, you might need to jiggle it a bit in the socket to get a good seating. Even though you think you've got those pins straight, they probably aren't 100% perfect.

5. AudioVayne

AudioVayne TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 99

Cheers man, appreciate your tips...I have given it a bit of a go, with a knife and a needle...Ill need something to hold the magnifier so i can perform the surgery with 2 things at once...

6. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

I use a case slot back plate from a pc. You could use any kind a long thin flat edged tool to line up the whole row of pins at once. I've done it to both CPU and CPU socket
    Here is a pic of what I'm talking about
    http://www.cwc-group.com/caseplate.html

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

If the bent pins aren't exactly straight, you might end up shorting out the CPU, costing more than the motherboard is worth

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.