Anyone else noticed video quality issues with GPU accelerated Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compdata

I have a hp hdx 16t laptop with a Gforce 9600m currently running Vista Home Premium 64bit. I just installed Flash 10.1 beta and the beta Nvidia drivers (195.55) and noticed a couple of things.

1) Framerate playing full screen flash (youtube/hulu) seemed better
2) CPU utilization didn't seem to change much
3) The Video seem to have more artifacts and the image quality to be less smooth.

I checked to see that the hardware acceleration was enabled in the flash settings. I noticed that the Video noise reduction settings on the nvidia control panel were set to program controlled.

Did anyone else try this out and have they noticed any of these things or am i just noticing more now that i am really paying attention to the video quality? Thanks.

At a glance I did notice a bit of artifacting from flash video after this - but I didn't really do any research into it. I'll let you know if I hear/learn anything about it.

At a glance I did notice a bit of artifacting from flash video after this - but I didn't really do any research into it. I'll let you know if I hear/learn anything about it.

Thanks. I did some searching on it myself, but have found nothing on it yet. Hopefully any issues will be ironed out once the drivers get out of beta testing phase.

I haven't done any research on it, but I have found an easy way to tell that the quality is lower - on youtube if you watch an HD video and then full screen it take a look at the time on the bar - the text looks pretty bad for me after going to 10.1

As an update:

i just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium and the new official release drivers from Nvidia that support GPU flash. The issue is definitely still there and much more noticeable as i was paying more attention to flash video quality after the upgrade (before installing GPU enabled flash support). This is still using the 10.1 beta Flash plugin though, so still crossing my fingers that they will resolve this.

FYI, looks like this thread is getting picked up by other sources and is #1 on google for "gpu flash quality issues". Just a suggestion to Techspot editors / reviewers that it might be worth doing a review/investigation into this in more detail as it looks like there is a lot of interest in this technology.

As an update - it looks like flash 10.1 beta 3 has solved this issue for me (that or the latest nvidia drivers which i installed at the same time). Flash still has some cpu peaking, but overall it is definitely smoother then before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back