Anyone got any ideas at to whats up here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there. I have asked around a few places but havent come up with any answers yet.... hopefully someone might know whats up here.

I have a slight problem with the PC I built that I just cant work out... and neither can anyone else so far.
I recently upgraded my system to its first duel core and went full wack on it getting a AMD 6000+ as well as a few other bits and pieces. My issue is that I can't play games on my system because every ten seconds it gets SUPREME lag before frantically dashing up to the point where it froze, which playing on games like TF2, audio surf and Trackmania can be just a tad bit annoying as you would imagine. I have since found that the lag also happens in applications and the bios menu.

At first I was thinking either a driver problem or OS problem as I was on 64 bit Vista at the time but it seems that is not the case... I also updated all the drivers to no avail... so on to the internet I searched and I found that a few other had had similar problems to me. The solution to most of them was to install a more powerful PSU, which I did upping my rig from a 450 to a 700 Watt one... figuring that it would sort the problem, so I got it all installed and everything was working right up to the point where I tried to play a game x.x I tried the other solution which was to install the duel core optimizer which didnt help either. I went back to XP... no change...

I have tried every test known to man so far >.< The bios is updated, drivers installed and updated... it makes no sense x.x

Below is the specs of the system:

PSU: Arctic Power 700W
CPU: AMD 6000+ 3.0ghz duel core
RAM: 3gb @ 800mhz (2 * corsair twinX XMS2, 1 * corsair value select 3200)
GCard: 328MB Nvidia 9600 GSO (XFX) or a 1GB 8600 GT (gainword)
Mobo: Asus M3A78-EHM HDMI
HDD: 1.4 TB internal (2 * 500gb Sata (1 * Western Digital (from a failed external caddy), 1 * Maxtor (being the primary hdd)) 1 * 400gb sata (toshiba if my memory serves me right)) + 750 GB external (WD)
Case: Xilios Case (forgot the name of it)
2 * 120mm fans 1 * cpu fan plus standard ventilation from the PSU and GCard

Not sure if its relevent but using a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard and a Razor diamondback 1800dpi mouse.

erm.... Temps for the system are as follows:
mobo is at 30 with a peak of about 34
Processor is at 44 idle with a peak of about 46 at the most
GCard is between 49-59
HDDs at about 40

Currently running XP Pro 32bit with SP3 with all apps on the C: drive
Running the bare minimum using Warmonger as lag testing application as well as the NTune tools...

If anyone has any ideas on whats up with this thing and how I could go about fixing it please give me a shout as this is really annoying me >.<

also can provide dxdiag if needs be.

Thanks in advanced.
Kiffy

two things
make sure that the power connector is connected to your video card in the computer
and 2nd post the specs for the power supply, amps on the rails usually shown on the sticker on the side of the case

it really does sound like a power problem to me

also make sure onboard video is off in bios if there is any

Yeah the power connecter is fitted propperly
Here are the amp on the rails.

700watt

+3.3v - 30a
+5v - 38a
+12v1 - 22a
+12v2 - 22a
-12v - 0.6a
+5vsb - 3a

thats all the numbers on the psu

yea that power supply looks good, you did install the motherboard drivers right, and onboard video is turned off in bios

also you said you tried the 2x1gb ram how about try only the value ram

starting to sound like that especially because he experiences this in bios also
you could also try to clear cmos, couldn't hurt

GCard: 328MB Nvidia 9600 GSO (XFX) or a 1GB 8600 GT (gainword)

Defective Video card ?

I'd say test by removing the Video card, and see if it freezes up then (if you have onboard video)

as far as I can tell I have been told it was a defective mobo... taking it back to the shop for further testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back