Anyone know anything about CPU-Z???

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi all,

My CPU is an Intel C2D E6700 2.67Ghz. Currently, in the BIOS, the FSB is at 200Mhz and the CPU multiplier is set to x10. Can anyone tell me why when I run CPU-Z, it tells me that the core speed is only 1600.1Mhz and the multiplier is x6????

Damien

CPU-Z is a good program. What happens when you try to start a program that takes a lot of CPU power? It probably goes up then. I've witnessed this before; it's because, when the CPU is idling, it underclocks itself to save power, but when you do something CPU-intensive, it goes up to normal speed.

Regards :)

I think that's called "Intel Speed-Step", which first introduced in notebook to save energy when idling. Multiplier reduced when no heavy tasks running. (That's why core2duo is using less energy compared to pentium D in the advertisements.)

nothing abnormal at all. new CPUs clock down to conserve power and reduce heat when not in use.
If you really want to check it, run a distributing computing program like SETI to max out CPU usage.

It should be 266Mhz yes your right, and it does say on CPU-Z that the FSB is 266Mhz. But in the BIOS it says its 200Mhz. Weird????

Update...

I tried out overclocking my CPU today. I got up to 3Ghz with ease it seemed, just by increasing the FSB to 300Mhz from 200Mhz (leaving the multiplier at x10). I started to run Prime torture tests but stopped as I haven't stuck the temp probe in the case the CPU heatsink yet. I decided not to continue without be able to monitor the CPU temp, so I went back into the BIOS and put everything back to original settings.

Since then, when I run CPU-Z, I can see that the CPU doesn't seem to be underclocking itself now. Before it wold idle around 1600Mhz with a multiplier of x6 and shoot up when needed. Now it just constantly stays at 2667Mhz with a multiplier of x10.

Anyone know why????

Damien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back