TechSpot

Anyone know how to enter the BIOS of a HP/Compaq?

By Jessy12
Feb 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I've recently upgrade my graphics card on my Compaq and I think my 300 watt power supply may be struggling. I haven't upgraded it yet and I was trying to refrain from doing that, which is why I purchased the ATI hd6670 1gb Gddr5. It seems to be the best bang for your buck, as far as cards that really don't need a upgraded power supply, at least from what I've been reading. I was trying to adjust my power settings but I just can't seem to find the option to get into the bios. F11 is for system restore, F2 is boot menu, and ESC is settings. I went to ESC to check the settings, but there isn't anywhere to adjust bios in there. I tried all the other F keys with no luck. I know I could probably go to a HP/compaq support forum, but I figured since I'm up here a lot, and there are a lot of PC gamers up here also, I could ask. I have upgraded the computer to the max RAM that it supports, which is 4gb 6400spd, and it does have a AThlon 64 dual core processor, so while it isn't a monster gaming PC by no means, I think it would be a decent mid-range one. Any thoughts on how to adjust power settings in bios? I have the Ati Catalyst Control Center, but there isn't anything in there to adjust power settings, or devert voltage for the card. I tried MSI after burner, but the voltage set up is locked. I've read that ATI cards lock their voltage settings, is this true? Thanks for any input. I'm usually a console gamer, but I'm trying to enter the PC gaming market. Yeah I know I could buy a better PC, it's just that I've already had this one , so I figured what the h3ll.[​IMG]

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

I haven't looked up the power requirements for a 6670 but I think I can safely say you'll need a new power supply, preferably a reliable brand. If you still wanna get into the bios you could try the "delete" key.

3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

AMD recommends a 400 watt power supply. I wouldn't use that card until you get a new power supply. Stressing it could cause it to fail and that can tear up components.

4. Jessy12

Jessy12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your recomments.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.