Anyone playing on Windows 8?

Vollezar

I'd llike to know whether anyone is playing games on windows 8. Games like BF3, Deus ex, rage, Starcraft 2 and apps like Steam and Origin.
Do you have any issues or they running just fine?
I ask because I think I am going to move on to Windows 8 64Bit and just get rid of Win 7.

I've been running the Consumer Preview since April or so and I don't think I've had any issues specific to Windows 8 -- or at least not that I recall.

Finally got around to installing Win8 yesterday and played BF3. It seems to have actually improved the performance, actually. In win7 I had to turn off defender and firewall, because Origin does not like it and the ping was going mad. But in Win8 ping is only slightly raised. And performance of the games itself was just fine (even on my useless computer).

I have played on Consumer Preview before, and the experience was the same as Win7. Though I haven't seen someone from the web that tried to perform a game benchmark test on either previews.

Try installing a legitimate version of 3D Mark11 or older version and see the difference. As for games, you may try these titles (some are DX11 rendered) if you have them and perform a benchmark:

[FONT=Verdana]#1 Shogun 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]#2 Crysis 2 (with patches) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]#3 Metro 2033[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]#4 Witcher 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]#5 BF3[/FONT]

As the janitors said above, I'm not having issues or decreasing on performance while I'm playing with new version of windows until now.
Give it a try and I'm sure you'll like it.

I had to uninstall BF3 and Crysis 2. Was spending too much time playing them. Way too much fun not to.

I just ran the Unigine (http://unigine.com/) bechmark. It works just fine on Windows 8 and without having to set any Compatibility.

The system I have is:
Mobo: ASRock H61M-HVS
CPU: Intel Celeron G530 @2.4Ghz dual core
RAM: 4 GB 1333Mhz single channel
Video: Radeon HD 7570 1GB ( I think this card originally came from a Dell computer).
Main HDD: 320GB SATA
16GB USB stick for Superfetch (believe it or not but I do notice some improvement in system response with Superfetch)

The settings of Unigine:
Render: DX11
Resolution: 1280x1024
Anti-Aliasing: 4x
Anisotropy: 4x
Tesselation: disabled
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trillinear
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled

Results:
FPS: 19.6
Scores: 494
Min FPS: 10.9
Max FPS: 37.4

I actually wanted to test just the OS, which is my next thing with 3D Mark 11. But it will be basic version as I don't think I should spend money on full version just for one test.

P.S. I found that Celeron (new one) has been underrated. I played BF3, Crysis 2 and Metro 2033 and they ran just fine on this thing. Granted on BF3 I did have framerate trouble sometimes as I played mainly on 64 player servers, but it was during the heaviest of scenes.

3D mark 11 wouldn't run without having to set the compatibility to Windows 7. After that it ran but the performance was so horrible that I shut it down. I tested this machine with 3D mark 11 when I had Win7 installed and I had low frame rates but, as I recall, they were higher than 1-2 fps that I just had. It was really painful to watch.

I've been playing the Mass Effect series on Windows 8 Pro without any problem (except for one crash in Mass Effect). It's solid enough for gaming and yes, Origin works.

That's awesome, I only keep windows around for its games and matlab. Its good to know everything is working well on win8.

Back