Anything like Drive to Drive available?

macx

I've Searched and looked thru the Downloads section and can't find it.

There used to be an app called Drive to Drive that allowed a complete C drive, Windows included, to be copied to another drive while Windows was running.

I'm going to replace the drive in my laptop with a larger one and would like to transfer
everything over as I have it currently set up, especially Windows. (XP Pro)

I'm getting an external USB enclosure to put my existing drive in.

If something like that isn't available, is there a way to transfer or copy Windows from
the old drive to the new drive? I'd temporarily put the new drive in the enclosure and
copy from the existing drive to it, then physically swap the drives.

If that type of app no longer exists, would appreciate any tips on how I could
do that, if it's possible (just with Windows, I can copy everything else over)

Thanks!

don't quote me on it but i don't a complete image back up is possible on a running system as you would need to access important system files.

vista and win7 introduced successful VSS

acronis can make a image of your drive which you then can recover on another drive

That was exactly the point with Drive 2 Drive - the ability to back up a running system.

I had it and it worked great way back on Win98.

I've got it figured out - I'll take the existing drive out of the laptop and temporarily install it in
the external enclosure, then copy everything from there into my desktop. Then I'll swap the
new laptop drive temporarily into the enclosure and copy everything from the desktop into it,
then install it in the laptop.

Won't know till later this week - the new HD & the enclosure haven't arrived yet.

I'll post to this after I give it a try.

Back