TechSpot

AOL and passwords

By JBMAC
Oct 27, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As an early adopter, I used aol for years (now on aol9) but lately, switched my isp
    to another company, paying a very small fee for the priviledge of being allowed to continue with AOL's software and services. Recently this was changed by AOL so that (like many others) I was allowed free access, with no monthly charge. Then, AOL annoucned they were shutting down the Hometown journals/blogs service, which I rather enjoyed and everyone would need to export their stuff to another location. Most recently, I tried to update my password for security reasons - and as recommended by AOL - only to find I can no longer do this online and have to phone them. Now the operator sets a new password
    How secure is that?
  2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Actually, it's very secure. Tech support agents are allowed to reset a password but are not allowed to read someone's password. Yes, it is a trusted position, you just have to trust they are not stealing your password.

It's amazing how much trust we have i our society these days. Anytime you pay for something in cash, we all assume the person will give us change. What if they take your $20 bill and refuse? They could lie and say you never gave them money or something less. Yet we hand over the $20 and always get the correct change. Why? Trust!

Trust exists in almost every aspect of our day to day lives. Yet, we don't realize it.

Best,
    -- Andy
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.