AP Twitter account compromised, tweets White House attack

By Shawn Knight
Apr 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The Associated Press’ Twitter account was hacked earlier today and used to distribute a tweet claiming explosions at the White House had injured President Barack Obama. The account was suspended by Twitter shortly after the tweet was sent out.

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Heh...I'll bet the guy who set up the AP Twitter account with a weak password won't have a job for long.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

I knew this was BS when I didnt get an alert to my phone from AP.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,473   +301

God I'm glad I don't use twitter, I swear I hear a story about twitter accounts getting hacked almost once a week.
    JC713 likes this.
  5. JC713

The worst part is that the Dow plunged 200 points after that was posted... sigh.
    [​IMG]

We have too much of a reliance on that garbage. The only reason I made a twitter was to keep up with tech news, but I literally get the same info from my feeds.
  6. Vilandra

Vilandra TechSpot Member Posts: 27

Man, that is disturbing. ^^^^ People basing their finances on one twitter feed!
  7. JC713

Yup, it is pretty frightening. Too bad we live with social networking on our shoulders.
  8. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,194   +445

The market is emotional. Major news like that triggers algorithms and human traders try to get out (or short) as fast as possible, else they get run over by the train. The result is liquidity dries up and price blazes to the nearest area of major supply/demand, taking out anyone who gets in the way. Same thing happened across most U.S. markets.
  9. JC713

True.
  10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

Approved accounts should be forced to use 2 step authentication.
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

Oh come on Burty, you'll never make me believe you don't care what I'm doing right how...........(wait for it)........I just hooked up a mic to a digital delay and my guitar amp. Now I'm laughing psychotically.........
    Burty117 and JC713 like this.

12. JC713

That is just being rolled out. It has been under testing for the past few months. captaincranky, you provide me with my laughs for the day :D.
  13. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

14. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

Reminds me of how rothschild took over the world, When napelon was at war the rothschilds spread a rumor that napoleon had lost and the bankers all assumed their bank was to be took over so they quickly sold all their stocks to get materials, which caused extreme deflation and because rothchild started the rumor he bought stocks for pennies on the dollar. And that day he pretty much bought the entire bank of england. Now days these banks owned by the rothschilds are jp morgan and chase bank of america etc.bros which are all fronts for them. U don't have to believe me look it up <------:)
  15. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 292   +39

Heck, I thought the AP WAS the White House, along with NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, MSNBC and to an extent, Fox. None of them are journalist....Journalist, ASK QUESTIONS, these clowns pretty much just repeat what the White House says.
    spencer and Vilandra like this.
  16. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

True that man, The real questions get horrified looks from politicians and other puppets of the like I remember one where an infowars reporter( one of the few true news source in the world) The female talked straight to bill gates a few months ago her question was something along these lines "why do you own 500,000 shares of monsanto" as well as why do you fund corporations that have well known child slavery rings and as to why his polio vaccines have paralyzed 50000 kids internationally. The look on his face for about 0.5 secs is pure terror.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.