Apparantly windows recovered my registry..

Status
Not open for further replies.

williaml337

Apparently windows recovered my registry by use of a log or alternate copy. It tells me this every time I boot up my computer. Every single time. Here is the notice I get:

8ak1103.png

Windows XP Registry Recovery Notice

How can I make it go away?

Ta. I ran an error check on C: (windows partition). There were errors and bad blocks. Should I check my document partitions too?

This whole problem came about after my computer was forced to shut down (3 times) while windows was booting. Ugly I know. But do you think this means bad memory is more or less likely?

(Memtest takes hours and bores the life out of me.)

Should I check my document partitions too
Actually it says file system, but means everything, so No
do you think this means bad memory
No, you must run memtest to confirm bad memory
Memtest takes hours and bores the life out of me
I agree, and not only that, it may say OK when it's not OK
ie You must do 7 passes - incredible - you'd think it's hurting memory
But that's the test proceedure

LOL you have bad RAM, and until you can unbore yourself to actually run it I stand by my guess.

I do not take serious anyone who can't 'survive' a memtest run, you need to run that stuff AT LEAST half a day. I don't care how fantastic your RAM is doing after 30 minutes.

Once you go through at least 5 passes error free, then come back to the forums with a complaint and some real data, then we can give you some real advice. Until you do that, then I'm afraid the most serious advice you are going to get is to check your RAM.

Hi williaml337,

Once the 7 passes of memtest have complete, please post the results here
This is to continue support by many minds, instead of just one.

Therefore all support help should be posted here in the public forum, not by PM. But that's cool that you respect my opinion anyway.

What results? I've never had any results from memtest. It just flashes stuff I don't understand on my monitor and takes its time about it.

SNGX1275: instead of berating people, which serves no one (except yourself it would seem), perhaps your time would be better spent explaining.

kimsland said:
Yes but SNGX1275 has 6,838 posts
I'm pretty sure he has helped thousands of happy users

He's only helped the happy users? Jeeze poor unhappy users. Or should I say fortunate unhappy users? Whatever.

Look man, your problems are symptoms of bad RAM. I'm sure they can be caused by something else too, but the fact is 2 people have asked you to check your RAM and you aren't doing it. If you don't want to check it, then fine, but we aren't going to sit here and think up of all the other possible causes and solutions when our first guess isn't being considered.

SNGX1275 said:
Look man, your problems are symptoms of bad RAM. I'm sure they can be caused by something else too, but the fact is 2 people have asked you to check your RAM and you aren't doing it. If you don't want to check it, then fine, but we aren't going to sit here and think up of all the other possible causes and solutions when our first guess isn't being considered.

I replaced the ram and I still have the same problem, Mr Bossy.

Please refer to this post
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58264.html

Follow the steps exactly

My fix for this:

1. Create a new user account with administrative rights on the affected machine.
Navigate to the affected user's profile directory and copy ntuser.dat to a folder
named backup on your C: drive.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat to
c:\backup)

2. Once you have backed up the ntuser.dat file, delete the original from the user's
profile directory

(example for a user named dave: delete c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat)

3. Log off the temporary account you have created and login to the affected user
account and let windows fully load up. This will create a new ntuser.dat file under
the user's profile.

4. Once windows has fully loaded up, log back out of the affected user's account
and log back into the temporary account you made earlier.

5. Copy the ntuser.dat file you backed up earlier to the user's profile directory
overwriting the new file that was created.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\backup\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\
)

6. Log out of the temporary account and log back into the computer under the affected
account and see if the problem is fixed.

Reply back with result

williaml337 said:
I replaced the ram and I still have the same problem, Mr Bossy.
So instead of running a test that 2 people asked you to do, you'd rather spite us and just avoid the problem entirely.

If you replaced the RAM and Motherboard and are still using the same installation of Windows, then I'm going to have to say thats no good either. You can't just go replacing motherboards without reinstalling Windows. You maybe can if its the same board and same chipsets, but fundamentally you just don't do that if you are having problems. Now you potentially introduced more or different problems.

You've been anything but forthcoming with information that aids us in solving the problem for you. You've refused for whatever reason to do what we've asked.

Since you refused to do a real memtest, and an early post of yours says a hard drive scan returned bad blocks then I'd look there. Run some real hard drive diagnostics tools on it.

SNGX1275 said:
So instead of running a test that 2 people asked you to do, you'd rather spite us and just avoid the problem entirely.

What? Please get off your high horse. I didn't run memtest because I don't know how to use it, not to spite you.

Nothing I have written in this thread was personal. If anything it is a reflection of my frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back