Apple and Samsung combine to collect 99% of mobile phone profits

By Shawn Knight
May 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple and Samsung have combined to collect an astonishing 99 percent of mobile phone operating profit. Individually, Apple accounted for 73 percent while Samsung amassed the remaining 26 percent. HTC...

Read the whole story
  2. Who is SE?

And I know Motorola died but where is it on this chart.
  3. bielius

bielius TechSpot Booster Posts: 227   +14

SE stands for Sony Ericsson, and yes, this company existed someday.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

Profit shares? Guess Motorola is breaking even or sold at a loss Guest.

We all knew that Apple is a luxury brand with astronomical price. This really drives that point home. But with NPD showing Android phones now make up 61% of sales, Apple might need to lower their price and compete in an arena that they once dominated.
  5. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Really!? astronomical price? The iPhone is available for $200 USD carrier subsidized and you can get the iPhone 4 for $99.

Apple shouldn't change anything, you did read how much profit they are making compared to everyone else? And of those 61% of Androids sold they can't even get profits near 30%.

Yeah sure Apple is the one that needs to change.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

My girlfriend just went from a 3GS to a 4 (not 4S) this weekend and was expecting it to be $100. The guy (at Radio Shack) said it rang up for $50 (apparently a $50 credit came up at same time). I don't know anything more than that, but I know she walked out of there with a non-refurb iPhone 4 for $50 and a 2 year contract.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.