Apple and Samsung US sales figures unearthed in court documents

Shawn Knight

Staff member

More news continues to flow from the Apple vs. Samsung trial as Cupertino seeks a $2.5 billion judgment against the Korean tech giant over claims that they copied the design of the iPhone and iPad when developing some of their products. The latest bit of legal documentation reveals exactly how many phones and tablets each company has sold in the US in recent years.

From June 2010 through June 2012, Samsung sold a total of 21.25 million phones in the US, generating roughly $7.5 billion in revenue. Surprisingly enough, it wasn’t the Galaxy S II or any variant of it that was their top seller. Instead, the admittedly low-end Galaxy Prevail on Boost Mobile held the number one spot with 2.25 million units sold. If you combine all of the Galaxy S II variants into a single category, then 4.1 million handsets were sold over the two year time period.

Financially speaking, the Epic 4G was the biggest revenue earner for Samsung, bringing in $855 million. With regards to tablets, Samsung only sold 1.4 million Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1 products, producing $644 million in revenue.

In the same time period, Apple sold 85 million iPhones in the US worth $50 billion in revenue although it’s worth pointing out that Cupertino grouped all models of the iPhone into a single category (they did the same for the iPad as well). Since its launch in 2010, Apple has moved 34 million iPads, generating $19 billion in revenue in the process. Surprisingly enough, the iPod business is still holding strong with 46 million iPod Touch devices sold for a revenue of $10.3 billion.

Permalink to story.

If we must insist on calling Apple 'Cupertino' like they're some captial city, shouldn't we call Samsung 'Seoul' Oh wait. that'd be annoying and dumb, wouldn't it?

And unless my math is off... 4.5 million samsung phones compared to 85 million iphones is 5%. And 1.4 million samsung tablets compared to 34 million ipads is 4%. Are we to assume that only the Galaxy S II and it's varients are respectable iPhone competitors? Throw out the Prevail and that's still 18 million Samsung phones that may or may not be the target of this lawsuit. (The Epic 4G has a slide out keyboard. NOT comparable to an iPhone)
I thought Apple was most upset about Android 4.0... why don't they sue google, or at least only ask for money from phones running it.

Either way... Apple is asking for 2.25 billion?! So they're bascially saying that Samsung has been selling Apple phones and they want all the revenue from it. Not all the profit... all the revenue.

Why don't we stop calling Apple Cupertino already, its a place not a company look for yourself http://www.cupertino.org. Oh wait, or is it because Apple tells sheeple that it is Cupertino? And the masses follow. Because the city of Cupertino surely is not seeking $2.5 Billion from Samsung...

Not surprised to see Apple grouping its sales in to one big number, they think it impresses people I suppose. Samsung's numbers on the other hand clearly show they are pushing Apple out of the market and Apple needs to protect them selves from such a prominent threat... Seriously, if numbers were closer it may be an argument, but over such small sales figures its just a big waste of time, both for the courts and the companies involved.

It's just a naming convention to avoid using the same words over and over again; most people wouldn't know where said company was located if it wasn't casually mentioned, so it's nothing to be up in arms about. Same thing applies for other companies and entities, too: Redmond for Microsoft, Washington for the U.S. federal government, Mountain View for Google, Palo Alto for HP, Hollywood for the U.S. film industry.

And according to friends in Korea, referring to Samsung as "Seoul" isn't a very big exaggeration at all.

Anyways, regarding the article, the sales numbers do seem to suggest Apple might be exaggerating about the impact the allegedly infringing Samsung products have on their core business, which would affect real-world damages. And yeah, they probably should be going after Google and Android instead, but that would upset more than just Samsung. I don't quite think iPhone is a monopoly in the smartphone arena yet, but Apple sure does like to act like one.

Lawyers don't call it exaggerating or grossly inflating a claim. They seek justice ;-)

If those sales numbers are correct, then the initial suit, even if given any merit, might be worth a lot less than the counter-suit, and Apple's lawyered-up attitude might actually see them pay Samsung a settlement.

Oh, how the legal divisions make money these days... It leaves a barbaric name for the company in my mind. Apple, you're truly rotten :)

My wife and I went to see a documentary where they "found" "footage previously thought lost" from a 1995 interview with the now late Steve Jobs. In that interview, Jobs literally says "Apple stole everything it invented." Perhaps they ought to play this in court. ;)

Back