Apple announces MacBook Air refresh, all-new US-made Mac Pro

By Jos
Jun 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple announced an entirely new line of MacBook Airs at WWDC 2013. The company refreshed its skinny laptop with the latest and greatest from Intel -- namely, their new Haswell processor. Particularly, the refreshed laptops will use the ULT variants...

Read more
  2. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 506   +134

US made? Isn't that code for "assembled in the US but parts made in china" or "parts made in US but assembled in china" or something like that? (so basically a deceiving label?)
    I forget which on it was...
  3. It will most likely be "Assembled in the U.S. Parts from China, Designed in California" Other companies are starting to do the same, like Lenovo in North Carolina.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

That new Mac Pro seems nice. It needed a refresh. iOS7 is amazing though :).
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +706

Yeah, nearly as amazing as the price of the machines.
  6. JC713

Well, Apple products are overpriced definitely. But OS X renders photos and video in CS6 much faster than Windows, so professionals like that.
  7. m4a4

I doubt that. With equivalent hardware, I'd say they are about the same (provided you don't use an OS biased renderer)
  8. JC713

I remember reading a benchmark a year back that shows the Retina MBP demolishing a gaming laptop in Photoshop performance, I cannot find it though. When I do, I will post it.
  9. m4a4

10. JC713

That was not the benchmark I wanted to show. It is not a fair battle. A 670M vs a 650M... that is why I removed it. I am still looking for the past benchmark in which apples to apples were compared (650M vs 650M), not apples to oranges (which was done in that link I first provided).
  11. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 346   +67

The best benchmark would be to take a PC and install Windows and Hackintosh, then you can compare.

12. JC713

But the point is that you compare equivalent specs on Windows and on OS X and see which performs better.
  13. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,585   +489

Quite disappointed about Macbook Air. I was looking forward to seeing a worthy upgrade for my Dec-2011 Macbook Air 13", but it didn't happen.

What I was hoping for was to see the following:

1. Better screen, to get one of these: 1600x1050, 1080P or retina. Instead, the screen was borrowed again from 2 or 3 generations from the past. Even when the last iMac came out half-year ago there were a number of improvements in the screen quality. How come we get nothing again for Macbook Air?

2. Option to get 16GB of RAM. Didn't happen.

3. Full support for Wi-Fi AC. Instead, we got cut-down 3-channel version of it. Why???!!!

So, the SSD has been upgraded, Wi-Fi is better now, better battery life. That's all good, but none of these will offer a noticeable improvement in my day-to-day use to justify an upgrade.

Other ultrabooks are coming out to offer a far better spec, like Sony's new Vaio Pro 13", which I'm now thinking of buying. It has pretty much the best 13'3" 1080P touch-screen display, the kind you just wouldn't want a better one.
  14. m4a4

The problem is that it is apples to "oranges" because of the apple tax. I don't care if OSX runs faster or not, you cannot find a Mac that will beat an equivalent PC for a similar price...
  15. JC713

LOL so true.
  16. JC713

They didnt even put in a 1080P webcam.
    VitalyT likes this.
  17. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

Webcam? What is this blasphemy!! It's an innovative FaceTime camera!!

:D
    JC713 likes this.
  18. JC713

Lol I know that naming garbage is so stupid. But the point was that they didnt even upgrade the webcam like people were saying they would.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  19. m4a4

Heh, I just saw actual pictures for the mac pro. I guess they were going for the trash bin look...
    Macbin?
  20. JC713

I think it is a neat little idea. But seriously, what is so wrong with a tower (old Mac Pro)? That looks professional... The only reason people will buy the new one is because of the updated specs.
  21. VitalyT

Just out of curiosity I got in touch with our local Apple retailer who offered me an excellent trade-in on my Dec-2011 Macbook Air of 500 euro. This one is tough to resist, and I probably will do the swap for the latest now...
  22. m4a4

It seriously looks like a trash bin. And it looks inconvenient.
    Think about it, most desktops are meant for rectangular PC's (and would look better with one). This would either stick out like a sore thumb, or not fit well at all. But that might just be my opinion
  23. VitalyT

The new Mac Pro - take a break! ;)

[​IMG]

After all, Apple is for everyone...

[​IMG]
    m4a4 and JC713 like this.
  24. JC713

I was talking about the old Mac Pro being professional. There was nothing wrong with it.
  25. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

You forgot the part where the plant will only create about a half dozen American jobs, all of the work will be done by robots, who curiously don't have to file an income tax return.

In any case, maybe Apple will bribe someone high up in the NSA to declare this turd, "weapons grade", like the G-4 was, and get a whole practically free theme for an ad campaign on the coattails of that declaration.

Other than that, I visited "the beautiful product page", and came to this conclusion. This monstrosity looks like R2-d2's evil twin. Not only that, the picture of it with its insides spread out, looks like R2-D2's evil twin whipping open its raincoat and flashing its junk on a street corner .....
    JC713 and m4a4 like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.