Apple announces Q2 earnings, 35.1 million iPhones sold

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple announced quarterly earnings on Tuesday, putting to rest speculation that competition might eat into its market share and sending shares surging in after-hours trading. The tech giant posted revenue of $39.2 billion, second only to the $46.33 billion reported for the quarter ending December 2011. Net profit was $11.6 billion, or $12.30 per diluted share.

Both figures topped estimates from Thomas Reuters of $38.9 billion and $10.10 per share. Needless to say, Apple’s CFO Peter Oppenheimer was quoted as saying they are very pleased with the results.

Apple sold 35.1 million iPhones in the quarter, an increase of 88 percent over the same period last year, accounting for roughly half of the overall revenue. Cupertino points to a surge in the Asia-Pacific and Japan markets where sales more than doubled year over year. The iPhone is now available in over 100 countries on 230 wireless carriers. International sales were responsible for 64 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Apple’s new iPad helped the company sell 11.8 million tablets in the quarter, an increase of 151 percent over last year’s figure. Oppenheimer credits the education sector for the increased iPad sales, noting that the tablet outsold the Mac by a two-to-one factor with US K-12 customers.

Cupertino moved 4 million Macs in the quarter, good for a 7 percent rise from last year. The only negative mark in the lineup came from the iPod where they only sold 7.7 million devices, a decrease of 15 percent year over year.

Permalink to story.

I guess its not much of a surprise that the iPod sales are declining, the iPhone does it just as well if not better and since the sales of iPhones are soaring, I mean, I got the 64gb iPhone 4S and there just isn't a need to have a separate device for music, If Apple lowered the prices on the entire iPod range though, then I could see a reason to purchase an iPod, I could by several Nano's and use one for my car for instance, even then though, I still use my phone now :S

And if you had bought an Android phone with an SD slot another 32GB would only cost about $35. ;)

$39 billion revenue in 90 days is $433 million a day, or $18 million an HOUR. That's amazing. 'Very pleased' sounds like an understatement.

Yes, ipod is on the way out. But only because they did too much with it. There's still a good use for a nano. I don't want to workout with a phone sized music player. If they could build a good small mp3 player/radio with something integrated for fitness (GPS maybe?) they could bring it back.

Burty117,

Most people don't know this but the iPod now accounts for less than 1% of the entire value of Apple. If the iPod disappeared completely, it would hardly matter to Apple. Imho, the iPod stopped making sense as far back as 4 years ago when most smartphones already had 8-16GBs of RAM for music. Also, why would anyone want to carry 2 devices where one device does all the functions of the other. The only area where iPod still somewhat makes sense is the gym or for people who want to listen to music while doing active sports (say biking or running). I suppose not everyone wants a smartphone, in which case, the iPod may make sense. For most people it's simply a redundant overpriced device.

Apple is for slightly older generation and will be retired as baby boomers retire.

Back