TechSpot

Apple applies for patent to bring wireless charging to Smart Cover

By Shawn Knight
Mar 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has applied for a patent that would allow iPad owners to charge their tablet using a special version of the company’s Smart Cover. Referred to as “Integrated Inductive Charging in Protective Cover” in the application filed with the U.S....

Read more

2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Well induction charging takes almost twice as long to charge a device then the standard wall charger. I do like the idea of solar cell covers. Now that sounds do-able. Especially if youre like me and live in a place that has sunshine 355 days of the year. I have even purchased a solar charger for my phone so one for a tablet isnt to far off.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

My iPad 3 takes so long to charge as is. They improved charging speed with the iPad 4 and new wall charger, but this will be basically going backwards lol

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

If they make the cover fold flat on the back of the iPad, this could be cool. You can use it while charging.

5. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

Hmph. Once Nokia does it they have to take it away from them.

6. I dont know a lot about electricity and chargers but... How do you make a charged passive object to transfer all the charge to another object? Best Case: Charge will balance, like two parallel capacitors...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.