Apple awarded patent for look and feel of iTunes store

By Rick
Apr 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After nearly 8 years of waiting, the USPTO has granted Apple a patent which aims to protect their iTunes Store interface. The patent covers the look and feel of the...

Read the whole story
  2. How does Apple patent an interface design that clearly copies other designs? Technology patents are beyond broken.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 859   +274

I can only imagine how lucrative it would have been to patent the wheel or "spontaneous warmth-emitting light piles." I can see the concept diagrams already, drawn on a cave wall with someone's clan logo carved into the surface as an overlay.
  4. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 139   +19

Why anyone would want to copy the mess that is itunes is beyond me.
  5. killeriii

killeriii TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Agreed!

Besides that,
    I didn't know the way stores organize their shelves was patentable.
    Only on the internet!
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 902   +71

I organize letters to form words. Why can't I patent this idea?

Apple organizes data in boxes and calls it iTunes. What's so special about that?
  7. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

More magical?
  8. The USPTO need their collective heads examining.
  9. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +10

"Beyond broken" - a good description. Kinda like the tax code - who has the most lawyers and biggest congressional bribes, wins.
  10. This is copy protection effectively gone mad, patent awarding is a buisness these days and sooner or later the US and its corporate funders will want anything patented even by a household owner just to "protect copyrights" for some reason they feel copyrighting will allow them to stop others innovating and thus break competition and they can sit on their hands while this happens milking the cash cow that is patents.

Next let them patent their philosphy: "Lets sue and patent everything we can even if it isn't ours orignially and then claim it is. And come up with lame lawsuits in between to stifle competition by litigation." They can patent that motto so no one else can follow them?
  11. you are reading it wrong.
  12. cookiedude

cookiedude TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 220

Does this patent only apply to the US or is it worldwide??

13. So eventually people may begin to understand the real problems with software patents it seems...
  14. Reading it wrong?

Hardly, i can only assume you are taking my reply based on this one article about how apple have been behaving and you havent kept a broader view of things overall even so this article summarises the mentality over at apple, i actually hope they keep wasting their own time given the direction of that path im sure they will get what they want but not what they need...
  15. Looks like a Smalltalk browser from Xerox back from 1972. Steve Jobs got most of his ideas (UI, Tablet) from PARC (Smalltalk UI, Alan Kays Dynabook) at that time. If prior art applies this patent is already obsolete.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.