Apple blames iPhone 3GS discoloration on cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

After issuing an advisory on how to prevent iPhone 3G and 3GS overheating earlier this month, Apple has now apparently found a potential cause of iPhone 3GS discoloration. Contrary to user reports suggesting these two issues were related, the company claims a likely cause for discoloration comes from people putting the iPhone inside a protective case – a common enough accessory. The assertion is that certain cases discolor when exposed to heat, not the iPhone. Though Apple hasn't made an official public statement regarding this, the report comes from dealing with Apple's technical support.

While Apple’s explanation is certainly plausible, it does seem they are trying very hard to place blame anywhere other than on themselves. After all, if previous generation iPhones had no such issues, why would the 3GS be any different? The company has made many design changes with the 3GS, and though this situation may’ve not been predictable, Apple cannot say they played no part in it.

They did offer one suggestion for fixing the problem: cleaning the back of the device with rubbing alcohol. This seems to validate that the device itself is in no danger of becoming discolored from heat, with the real source of the problem coming from the outside world.

Permalink to story.

So basically, if I'm understanding this right, Apple is saying "We're Apple. We're perfect and our products could never have defects. Your case is to blame for all the problems you've had with your iphone, not us." Effing muppets.

No, if you read it right, the "discoloration" can be wiped off with alcohol because it has nothing to do with a defective design.

What I find interesting is that this wasn't seen in testing... The question begs to be asked: did they test it with accessories at all?

I really doubt they tested it with any protective cases/covers. They shouldn't have to, the manufacturers of the cases should be the ones burdened with that (if infact it is the cases causing discoloration). The problem is about 40000 companies are in a big rush to be the first ones to have cases ready that they don't have time to test. Are their any cases that are Apple approved? Do they cause discoloration?

There is a lot of blame being put on Apple here for seemingly no other reason than it is 'cool' to hate on them, just like its cool to hate Vista.

Yep, spot on SNGX1275 and maestromasada.

I got my 3GS on the day of release in the UK and haven't had one problem with it. Hasn't even been warm to the touch, and I'm giving it a good thrashing! (don't know how I lived without one for so long actually)

I'm not, and never have been an avid Apple fan, but their products are, from what I've seen, generally very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back