Apple considered four alternate names for the iPhone before launch

By Shawn Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. “iPhone” may seem like the most logical choice for Apple’s iconic handset in hindsight but there were reportedly multiple names up for consideration before Steve Jobs unveiled the smartphone in 2007. Former head of Apple advertising Ken Segall recently spilled...

Read more
  2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 851   +201

Lol, those names seem a little silly. I'm no fan of apple. However, I am glad they chose to name it the iphone.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,551   +595

I think any of those names would have worked and become household names like the iPhone has. It's the innovative device that made it's way into society - the name would have followed no matter what it was.
    BlueDrake likes this.
  4. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

iPple? iCom? iTalk? iEwwww:)
    I wonder how apple came up with the iconic "I" + product nomenclature.
  5. The "I" stands for Internet. The first time used was for the iMac that came out with all the pretty colors and I believe a pony, but I may be wrong about the pony....
  6. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

The "Telepod" name is so ridiculously bad I'm inclined to think it might have been a joke or something by some junior marketer in a board room. I mean it really is reminiscent of the 80's tech hysteria where everything from tech companies to tractor builders and fertilizers were naming products like "megatech industries", "megatron computing", "magnatech" etc. Too obvious to really be a serious consideration by Apple or their high flying ad agency.
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

While the "I" in "iPhone", may have indeed at one time stood for "internet", they seem to have managed to finally settle on the name that pandered to the prospective owner's ego the most.

Perhaps "I-phone", would have simply been too damned obvious.

Who puts the big capital "I" in iPhone"? Why you do, of course.;)