TechSpot

Apple could add 128GB option to current iPad lineup

By Jos
Jan 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple is preparing to release an additional fourth generation iPad model and it's likely to include 128GB of storage memory, according to a report by 9to5Mac. The site says it received word about the new model from an unnamed source...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

Couldn't this be a hint at a high res iPhone or an even higher res iPad??
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 972   +86

I hope that they drop the 16, and shift the prices. Make the 32 the new entry price model.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,823   +543

Ok, so let's vote on the name for the 128GB one:

1. Uber Cool
    2. Another iPad
    3. iCrap Big
    4. iWTF Pad

etc...
    khha4113 likes this.
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Would be interesting to see how they price a 128GB unit. Current units have a $100 price bump for each level above the 16GB baseline. Wonder if that would hold for going from 64GB to 128GB? My guess is it'll be a $200 premium for that top end, putting it at $899 for the Wi-Fi or $1029 for the cell model. Ouch!
  6. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Booster Posts: 187   +33

So, you don't like 128 gb of storage? why not? more space the better.

7. Rippleman

I am not an apple hater but it makes me so curious why the justify the $100 price bump, II wish I new if its a special type of flash memory or the same standard stuff you buy in standard USb thumb drives. From my shopping expereinece the other day, going from 16 -> 32 thumb drive added $18 and then another $18 for 64bg

8. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Simple answer, they charge $100 cuz they can. Nothing special about the memory in the iPads/iPhones etc.
  9. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Rookie Posts: 79   +11

Typical Apple - copying M$ 128GB Surface model.
  10. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 972   +86

1. iOverspent
    2. iNheritance Wasted
    3. iPeen Overcompensate
    4. iSoldmysoul
    5. iSheep Baa
    6. iDaddy's Rich
    7. Then my favorite, Maxi iPad
    Wagan8r, MilwaukeeMike and VitalyT like this.
  11. Rippleman

A group that I am getting together is recruiting early so we can all be super cool and hate something new. Want to join? Its basically what you are doing right now, but the apple thing is growing old and we think it would be much cooler to move on to something new! Want to leave your cool group for something even cooler?

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

Finally. Why don't they put this into iPods? I'm still interested in the iPod classic only because it has 160GB storage.

I wouldn't buy an mp3 player with less than 100GB these days. My phone does the job of the portable one, and I need the storage if I'm hooking it up to my car audio system.
  13. Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson TS Rookie

Yeah, its just that with M$ you get 83GB free...
  14. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,070   +704

You're just bitter that his new iPad names rock. if Techspot would let me 'like' his list of new iPad names more than once, I'd do it a few more times. MaxiPad and iOverspent are hilarious names. Lol!
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

Good grief man, those prices are an iSore. iDon't believe it. When iSaw those prices iFainted. It's blatant iWay robbery.
  16. Rippleman

I don't have an ipad... I just don't jump into the "icool" hate crowd
  17. MilwaukeeMike

Oh, I haven't jumped into that crowd either. Just pay attention to all the crap they do while feeding us non-stop commercials showing us how cool and trendy they are. First time I used an iPod I thought it was the coolest gadget I'd ever seen. it's taken me years to hate Apple.... but I'll be honest.. a lot of it is annoying Apple users, which is no fault of the company. I've read one too many 'anti-corporation' rants that have said 'sent from my iPad' at the bottom.
  18. Rippleman

I think apple must treat Canada different then the US since I have never seen an apple ad since back when they did the PC VS Apple thing with the young guy and the guy in the suit.

quote="MilwaukeeMike, post: 1272997, member: 275182"]Oh, I haven't jumped into that crowd either. Just pay attention to all the crap they do while feeding us non-stop commercials showing us how cool and trendy they are. First time I used an iPod I thought it was the coolest gadget I'd ever seen. it's taken me years to hate Apple.... but I'll be honest.. a lot of it is annoying Apple users, which is no fault of the company. I've read one too many 'anti-corporation' rants that have said 'sent from my iPad' at the bottom.[/quote]
  19. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

[/quote]

Dude, they run constant commercials in the US.
  20. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

How many mp3s do you have that 100GB is not enough? My music directory is 161GB a large part of that size is flac. The iPods won't play flac (not that it would be discernible in 99% of listening conditions I'd use and iPod in, and likely no way to tell with the stock earbuds), flac could be converted to alac, but that is a dead format... Just wondering because 100+ gigs of mp3s is a lot of music.

Nearly every news article that has anything to do with Apple gets several comments (sometimes pages) of people saying the same stuff over and over again and everyone applauds them and participates in the fun. Is this not the very thing you are saying has turned you to 'hate Apple' and their users?

There aren't many Apple users on this site, but I haven't seen any of this 'anti-corporation' stuff you speak of posted. I will concede that perhaps that has been done by a 'guest', which is often code for troll. I frequent Macrumors and their forums and I don't see it happening there either. Perhaps I'm not hanging out in the right circles?
  21. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,690   +884

For me it was Apple's, "I'm a PC", ad campaign that instilled a deep rooted hatred of them for me. I really didn't need any prodding, from any itinerant troll on any website.

Exxon has surpassed Apple in corporate gross income this year. If you can't pull up to one of their gas pumps, hate that company, its execs, and every avaricious oil sheik behind the scenes openly, and on their own cumulative lack of merit, then this isn't the free country you've been deluded into thinking it is.
  22. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

My current library is 85GB+, not counting podcasts. <1% of that is lossless format. I know lots of people happy with their 16GB iPhones, but considering that the iPod can charge in the car, I'd like 100GB+. I want to leave the thing in the car for months before syncing, and I want maximum potential for shuffling. I do not want to be loading up a new playlist every week.

I like to be surprised. :)
  23. MilwaukeeMike

Those annoyed me too... and so do the iPhone commercials. That dumb commercial where the cool trendy guy is cold in New England so he gets in the car with his cute girlfriend and just drives out west with Siri to guide them. It's just so fake and utopian.
    Plus, they rip off their customers... look at this story, 128GB for ANOTHER $100... or they could just do what everyone else does and put an SD Card slot in the iPad, which is what should have been standard on the iPad 2.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.